• Register Today It's free!

annoing noise! please read!

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Hi, I have a 94 explorer and just recently I have been getting a real load noise coming from the front end. It almost sounds like the growl of big beefy tires on the road but I have regular tires on it. When I drive strait you can hear it and when I turn left it gets even louder but if I turn right it seems to go away? Could it be the tires and if so which side? Also, I have checked all my fluids and they are all good. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you might have a bad wheel bearing.

I checked both sideds and repacked the passenger side, they all looked ok

Maybe the tires are chopped.

I would really look twice at the bearing and inspect the race for any damage the naked eye cannot see minor imperfections that lead to bearing failure it might be a tire as well and that is easier to check, swap tires! if the noise switches sides then there's your answer. Check your ball joints on the left side for any lateral play if they allow the tire to move noticeably at all then they might be changing the geometry of the tire's contact path on the road causing the noise so check tires, ball joints and bearings however if it was me, depending on how much the bearing is I would replace the bearing assembly regardless of how it looked to my naked eye. :salute:

Had the exact same situation and did all the checks you did. Wheel bearings were the problem.

Back