• Register Today It's free!

Another 94 Auto Hub issue

lvflyer

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4X41956
I cleaned my 94 Explorer Auto Hubs as described in another post and seem to have gotten rid of the major ratcheting, but there is still a slight issue that I had never experienced before. I have had this car for over 11 years and drove it around Vegas for 2 years and in Illinois for 9. I never had an issue with the 4 wheel drive till now, must be the cold and it sits a lot. It started making some major bangs and ratchet noise so I cleaned everything as suggested. I wasn't sure how much lubricant to put back in it so I just sprayed some lithium grease in the hub and around the spindle and mechanism. Is that enough? Now it engages into 4 wheel as it should, but it should disengage with 4 wheel off and backing up 10 feet. It does sort of. After backing up if I turn to the right I hear a slight bang and feel a shutter then all is OK. I tried backing up further and it still did the same thing. Does it need more grease. Also I tried my darndest to figure out how those things work and I guess I can't see the picture. Is there an explanation on line somewhere that shows an illustration what allows the spindle to engage the rotor? The hub just free wheels when it is off and I tried pressing on it, but nothing would lock it. Is the spring just too strong to do it by hand?

Back