Another Paint Question: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Paint Question:

OK, Like so many first gen. X owners, my X is also suffering from the paint cancer. A paint guy told me it was due to bird droppings and the sun. What I was wonderin is if I sand the areas around the spreading cancer will that prevent it from spreading even further. I wanna save up for a really nice paint job and that will be in another month or so. Untill then feedback's great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nah, you really won't stop it from spreading.
I would just endure the m0onth till you can get it repainted.
Make sure you or they strip it bare or the cracks in the paint will come back.

strip it bare? like from all the paint?

I would suggest sanding through the rust and spraying it with an automotive primer. You have to make sure that you remove all of the rust though, or you've waisted your time. And don't expect it to be easy, because rust goes deep, fast. Oh, and there's no point in removing the good paint, if it isn't rusted, then it's still doing its job.

When you repaint the hood you have to strip it bear metal, prime it then paint it or those paint crack will just keep popping up.

alright will do thx !

Surface primers over bare metal, NOT!

If you look at how the factories paint a vehicle, you will see that there is a special coating below the surface primers, called the "e-coat".

The reason for this is that surface primers, base coats and clearcoats are "porus" and moisture will penetrate down to the metal, and it will start rusting from the bottom up.

If bare metal is exposed, an "acid etch" primer or a product such as ZeroRust must first be applied.

OEM ecoat is a light grey, the black one sees on replacement parts, is the special ecoat, they use the black since it is not as easily affected by UV rays which will quickly oxidize and break down the OEM ecoat.

There is a lot of information on this, with pictures and text, from the entire paint process to various paint concerns at www.autoint.com under the Tech Tip Section, the OEM/TSB Section and Magazine Articles Section.

Ketch:cool:

Back