Another SOHC no start thread... :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another SOHC no start thread... :(

joey_hv

Reaction score
City, State
PHX AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt 4x4
I have a '98 4x4with the 4.0 SOHC. recently had the timing chains changed out. I sold it to a good friends son and a couple weeks later he was driving it on the road and the throttle stopped responding it killed over and he coasted to a stop. He tells me he would have sworn it ran out of gas had he just not filled up a few minutes earlier.

I picked him and the explorer up and started looking at it.

I checked the schrader valve and got fuel there.

The fuel pump runs for a few seconds and stops normally as it should when the key is turned on but not cranked.

I changed out the Crank position sensor and the cam position sensor, still no love back from the explorer.

The funny thing is that after it sits there for a couple hours and I crank it it starts for about 2 seconds then dies and just cranks over after that.

The Check engine light turns off when I am cranking.

lets see what else...

I tried starter fluid and it didn't change anything t just kept cranking over with no spark.

what am I missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad gas?
or
Could be a bad coil pack - did you check for spark?
I tried starter fluid in the throttle body with no change. so it can't be a bad gas issue.

I am getting spark at the coil pack and the plug wire ends.
I am ordering a new ECM from Autozone tomorrow for $129 buckies to see if that is the problem. I tested with a code reader and got a "no codes" message.

I am running out of ideas here guys...

Does the CEL come on when you turn the key to the ON position? If not, could be a bad PCM relay.

I'd wonder about a tank full of bad gas myself... When I worked at a dealership, a co-worker had the EXACT same problem... The fuel station's pump had pumped a bunch of water off the bottom of the tank. He made it about a mile down the road before it sputtered. The stuff that came out the fuel rail was 98% water.

-Joe

No start

I had a no start problem that the work around was put your foot slightly on the gas while attempting to start and then would. It couldn't hold idle then. Turned out was the idle control motor

I had the exact same symptoms and changed the same stuff you did. Ultimately it was some jostling around that fixed it after loading it onto a flatbed and transporting it to a friend's, it fired up. Not sure what did it, but please post if you find the answer!

Good luck!

2004 explorer - stall and/or will not start

2004 Expplorer - v8

same issues as above except mostly will not start on occasions. Replaced throttle body, MAS, and I can hear the fuel pump build pressure. This only happens so often, trying to start after sitting, cranks and does not start. Sometimes it will start in 5 minutes or less and sometimes it takes 20- 30 minutes. Has anyone found a solution that may save me from sinking any more money on posiable solutions?

When it doesn't start, check to see if you are getting spark to the plug(s). If not, consider replacing the crank sensor.

starter fluid + O2 + spark = somethings gotta happen. i think you need to check spark again. are you getting a good strong white spark across a plug? the ecm wouldn't be my first thought here. you need to verify the spark.

PS - never sell a vehicle to a friend, relative or someone you work with. it always ends badly.

I never did get to the bottom of it and it's been going on for 3 years now on mine. I went as far as replacing ECM after everything else had been replaced and/or tested. It still seems like the IAC but I don't know that it would cause a no-start.

When it happens I can floor it as I crank and get the start usually right away but it happens much less often than it did prior to the ECM replacement. Probably just coincidence though.

It happened right when I was picking it up from the shop for something unrelated a few months ago, so they worked on it for a while and didn't come up with anything solid either. That was after I had replaced everything else I thought may be the issue. Only issue I've had with this baby!

problem solved for my issue

Thanks to everyone who offered some info. As it turns out my truck would not start this time unlike in the past and the issue was the crank sensor. It finally just failed - thank God.

What is the anti theft light doing ???

I had the same problem will running it would shut off. sometimes it would restart in 10 - 15 minutes sometimes 1 or 2 hrs.. After round and round with the dealer and at 90 dollars a pop for them to say nothing is wrong,, I did ALOT of digging on here and through other websites,
I happened to notice the theft light blinking faster when I tried to start the trk and with no start.. normal blink is like every 2-3 seconds.. after the no start it was blinking at 10-16 flashes a second. ( way to fast to count just what I found out while searching ) FORD KNOWS about the anti theft problem with there computer but will deny all the way...
I was able to download their whole check system of the anti theft issue about 25 -35 PAGES . and after checking the sntire anti theft system ,come to find out there was a break in the sodiering of some of the chips. the conections on the board are a sorry excuse for a connection. The pins do not go through the board , they are flatten and top sodiered.. POOR ,POOR POOR.conection, But cheaper buy the thousands I bet.
I ended up replacing my anti theft computer and it works fine.. Only catch is you have to have FORD reprogram the keys to the new computer... locksmiths do not have the right B-code reader and they are VERY expensive.. (well over 2400$ )
The new anti theft computer is like 74$ from ford. and it is located behind the passenger airbag.. The anti theft computer in the driver side rear compartment, on the wheel wellis for the doors and locks and keyless entry....

Back