• Register Today It's free!

another Uhaul question

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have searched and found nothing but compliants on how uhaul does not rent trailers to explorer owners, but I cannot find if there is any substitute? I am moving from cleveland ohio to Georgia. I would like to use another rental company to help reduce moving costs. I have to move my explorer anyways so why not take a trailer with some of my stuff in it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I do not want to do anything suggested in other threads like lie to uhaul or pick it up with another truck and transfer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check Around your area for another company. There must be a diff one other than U-Haul.

If you haul is the only option, then you either have to borrow one from someone (if you can), or take up on one of options from another thread.

Vic

Budget rentals rents trailers, but I dont know how big they get them in, the one in town only has small ones, no more that 10 foot long I think, but maybe elsewhere they have bigger stocked trailers

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but why doesn't U-Haul rent to Explorer owners?

Nevermind... I have a bad habit of asking a question without even thinking about googling for it. :)

it has to do something with the fact that ford brought uhaul into the lawsuit with them on the rollovers....uhaul prez got pissed and vowed never to rent trailers to ford explorers........least that was what was told to me by a uhaul manager

It is not a big lie to say your in a Merc Mountaineer...after all pretty much the same vehicle except for a few differances....LOL

I would check with smaller Uhaul rental locations, the small business guy wont care what you call the vehicle, call it a F150 if you like...lol

modette said:
It is not a big lie to say your in a Merc Mountaineer...after all pretty much the same vehicle except for a few differances....LOL

I would check with smaller Uhaul rental locations, the small business guy wont care what you call the vehicle, call it a F150 if you like...lol
ya, but what do you think they will do when you show up with a explorer and they go out to hook it up?

put masking tape over the emblems lol

daprez1963 said:
ya, but what do you think they will do when you show up with a explorer and they go out to hook it up?

A small business wont do a dang thing, when it comes down to making money or no money they will pick money and call your Explorer a Hummer all day long.

Like the other poster said, use tape over the emblem...not sure why this is a big worry. I think HomeDepot also rents trailers.

modette said:
A small business wont do a dang thing, when it comes down to making money or no money they will pick money and call your Explorer a Hummer all day long.

Like the other poster said, use tape over the emblem...not sure why this is a big worry. I think HomeDepot also rents trailers.

yea well good luck!!
I called SEVERAL U haul dealers back in May to try to rent a trailer and they all said absolutely NO to a Ford Explorer.
I never did find a trailer so I had to borrow a van.
Ever since the Ford UHaul lawsuit they've had a fetish against Explorers.

just go pay for it and tell them that you going to pick it up later.

then just go after they close and bring it back when they are not there.not a big deal.

lechip said:
yea well good luck!!
I called SEVERAL U haul dealers back in May to try to rent a trailer and they all said absolutely NO to a Ford Explorer.
I never did find a trailer so I had to borrow a van.
Ever since the Ford UHaul lawsuit they've had a fetish against Explorers.

I ment to lie to them, they don't care...I should know I ran a small Business. Show me the money is all I care about...lol

If you go to U-Haul's website, you can reserve the trailers online. If you put in Mountaineer, it will let you rent it. If you put in Explorer, it will deny you. A loop hole!

How about these:
- Ford Mountaineer
- Ford Aviator
- Ford Expedition Lite
- Ford U152 (Explorer program code name)

I mistake Expeditions for Explorers and vice-versa all the time. Just a different scale. We can thank our litigious society for a ridiculous ban that excludes Explorers but not Mountaineers. It's hard to blame U-Haul for covering their butts.

if the people at Uhaul were so upset with the guys at ford for draggin 'em into the lawsuit with the explorers, they would have ban ALL fords...but you know as well as I do, they wouldn't...they would lose alot of money. it wasnt an explorer issue so much as uhaul being mad at ford, but they chose to take it out on explorer owners...uhaul bites. as for the small owners bending the rule...i doubt they would risk their contract with uhaul or their jobs over a lousy small profit in renting a trailer. taping the emblem? are these guys that stupid that rent them? lol.....n/m

I will pay more from a competitor instead of ever using U-Haul again. For U-Haul to target Explorers only and not Mountaineers or Aviators, it just shows that they are doing this to be a pain in the @ss.

rent from ryder. they are usually less expensive then uhaul anyway.

You can buy a trailer from Home Depo, and then sell it and you'll probably only be out what it would have cost to rent. That's what I was going to do, except I liked having a trailer, so I kept it.

Back