• Register Today It's free!

uhaul question.

steffel

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold,MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Me and some buddies are going on a trip to gulf shores this weekend. (actually in about 10 hours). But we took his F150 up to the uhaul place and picked up this 4 x 6 enclosed trailer to take our stuff down there so that we don't have to take my subs and system out of my explorer..

But anyway, we only took the f150 becuase they said that we couldn't use my explorer. If we just use this trailer for luggage, do you think that I will have a problem pulling it with my 2005 ford explorer XLT. I keep reading articales saying how they tip easy... but i would like some second opinions.

If anyone has any feedback please post...

thank-you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was trying to rent a trailer for my explorer too, they said the same thing, about how you cant, because of the old recal with the tires blowing out, mines a 92 and they still said that.

I think it would be fine

explorers only tip easy if you drive them like sports cars. do you drive it like a Lotus? I assume not.

as for the trailer, I'm 90% sure it will be no problem at all! however, check your door sticker for towing capacities and be sure you dont exceed them.

Uhaul won't rent to anyone pulling with an Explorer due to the tire blow out issues ten years ago. It is utter BS but it is their policy. I suggest renting a trailer from some one else.

Uhaul won't rent to anyone pulling with an Explorer due to the tire blow out issues ten years ago. It is utter BS but it is their policy. I suggest renting a trailer from some one else.

Since U-Haul maintains this policy in spite of the millions of Explorers and Mountaineers on the road, it's their loss. :p:

Spend your money elsewhere. The old urban legend on Explorer roll-overs was just so much hype anyway. :rolleyes:

Agreed- go elsewhere. Not just for the business, but also for liability- you'll be screwed if something happens.

Agreed- go elsewhere. Not just for the business, but also for liability- you'll be screwed if something happens.

good point, Joe

Uhaul wouldn't let me use a dolly to pick up my 97, luckly it was my friends franchise and we changed it to another vehicle, everything went through then.

we picked up a dolly in TN with a 1 Gen and had no problem. Towed a first gen sport home.

They'll sell you a class III receiving hitch (and even install it), but when it comes to renting a trailer to hook up to that hitch, it's a no go :thumbdwn:

Uhaul sucks.

As per your question, your Ex should be fine towing an enclosed 4x6....that's a tiny trailer.

Trailering w an Explorer

I'm not sure about your later model truck (it's newer than my 97, do you still have the owner's manual?). My owner's manual lists towing capacaties based upon engine, transmission, and axle ratio. It also gives a maximum frontal area the trailer can have (this is because at a certain point even an empty trailer will "overload" your your drivetrain because of the wind resistance). I'd suggest looking up your total capacity and then feel free to tow up to that amount worry free.

Now, about Uhaul. They do not seem to know what trailer brakes are. They use a "surge brake" on their trailers which essentially does nothing unless you're executing a panic stop, then they may assisst a little. Regardless of whether you're driving an Explorer or a Peterbuilt, Uhaul trailers are a gigantic safety hazard for a whole list of reasons, so you should be more concerned about their shoddy equipment than their computer is about your Explorer. I don't believe thier computer is smart enough to tell the difference between an Explorer, Navajo, Mountaineer, or whatever the new Lincoln equivalent is (Aviator?). Junk yards are full of spare grille emblems and other badging :). Whether you re-badge as a sister vehicle or tell their computer a different vehicle is actaully going to be doing the towing, you're opening yourself up to some legal liability. Make sure your insurance covers any damage you do to a rental trailer since the policy Uhaul sells you will only be honored if you actually tow with the F150

I have a sister who worked for Michelin at their world headquarters. She is an engineer. She told me the problem with the blowouts was because of poor design and inflation practices with the Firestone tire. It had nothing to do with the Explorer design itself. It just so happened that the Explorer used these inferior tires.

BTW, U-haul will rent a trailer to Mountaineer owners. Go figure. It is the same exact vehicle but one says Explorer on it and the other says Mountaineer. The executives at U-haul are the same type of people who came up with a no tolerance policy for schools. If some first grader draws a crayon picture of a gun then the kid is treated the same as someone who brought a weapon to school and is suspended. Wow Amerika...you've really become dumb. :usa:

I have a sister who worked for Michelin at their world headquarters. She is an engineer. She told me the problem with the blowouts was because of poor design and inflation practices with the Firestone tire. It had nothing to do with the Explorer design itself. It just so happened that the Explorer used these inferior tires.

BTW, U-haul will rent a trailer to Mountaineer owners. Go figure. It is the same exact vehicle but one says Explorer on it and the other says Mountaineer. The executives at U-haul are the same type of people who came up with a no tolerance policy for schools. If some first grader draws a crayon picture of a gun then the kid is treated the same as someone who brought a weapon to school and is suspended. Wow Amerika...you've really become dumb. :usa:

Now, that is an over generalization. Not all of us are dumb, just some:)

I think you should be able to spell America before calling us dumb.:mad:

I rented one of those 4 x 6 enclosed trailer before from U-haul.

I pulled it with my Mounty v8, no problems.....

I has that sucker LOADED to the roof, i EASILY had 4-5000lbs behind the truck.

It pulled pretty easily, obviously the braking and acceleration were effected pretty good.
But it handled extremely good, no swaying under pretty good wind gusts.

make sure you load those trailers with 60% weight in the front, or near the axel like it says on the diagrams.
(ya dont want the trailer popping off the Ball if the weight distribution is incorrect. You'd have alot of fun explaining that to U-haul,hahahaha)

yep

Well we made it down to BAMA just fine. we didn't have any problem pulling that trailer.

We only ran into a problem when one of the drivers hit a speed bump before a tunnel going to fast and it hopped off the hitch....

but everything turned out ok...

Thanks for the input guys.

I have a open car trailer and tow my Mustang to the track. I make sure I dont go over the towing capacity and my trailer gets routine maintenace just like my cars. Also, I dont speed with the trailer and take all precautions with it. I have a brake controller, load stabilizer bars and class II hitch with towing package and V8. No problems so far.

Orlando

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well we made it down to BAMA just fine. we didn't have any problem pulling that trailer.

We only ran into a problem when one of the drivers hit a speed bump before a tunnel going to fast and it hopped off the hitch....

but everything turned out ok...

Thanks for the input guys.

This is why you lock a hitch, or at the minimum put one of those pins in it....to keep the tongue from unlatching while driving.

Back