Another weird problem I'm having... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another weird problem I'm having...

javey

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Well like I said, I did a LOT to fix this ABS light, and still it is not working...here is what I've done:

Replace Rear ABS sensor
Replaced both front hubs (w/sensors)
Replaced brake fluid
Replaced rear diff. fluid
Replaced ABS relay

And still the same damn problem...it's not on ALL the time, and I don't want to get this scanned right now. I just want to troubleshoot. I am led to think that something might be wrong with the rear abs sensor still, because the speedo doesn't work well sometimes, rises and drops to 0 a lot up to 20 mph. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After doing all that, with no results, I'd think it's time to extract a code before spending too much more time on something else that may not be the issue. You can buy an OBDII reader, which will help with future issues too. I think Pepboys was having a sale on them but I can't remember now.

Other than that, we'll see what the general consensus is...

Well like I said, I did a LOT to fix this ABS light, and still it is not working...here is what I've done:

Replace Rear ABS sensor
Replaced both front hubs (w/sensors)
Replaced brake fluid
Replaced rear diff. fluid
Replaced ABS relay

And still the same damn problem...it's not on ALL the time, and I don't want to get this scanned right now. I just want to troubleshoot. I am led to think that something might be wrong with the rear abs sensor still, because the speedo doesn't work well sometimes, rises and drops to 0 a lot up to 20 mph. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

I think you have to get this scanned. Most cheap code readers will not read ABS. For about 150, www.carcode.com has a unit that will read ABS and much much more and will rival a scanner 10X the price. You must buy the PWM and ISO modules to read ABS. I don't have anything to do with the company but its a damn good no nonsense product.

Also, I believe there is a seperate speed sensor that drives the speedometer and odometer. The scan tool can tell you the actual speed the computer sees.

small question... how did you replace your fluid / bleed your system???????

Odds are it's ether the HCU or the module (or both) but only a scan will tell you for sure, and as mentioned, no ordinary code scanner will do it.

-Joe

Back