Any input on 1994 explorer for sale? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any input on 1994 explorer for sale?

ARCAT9

Reaction score
City, State
Central,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hopefully 1994 XLT
New to the Forum
I am going to look at a 1994 Explorer XLT 4x4 this weekend. I've done some searching around on here but was hoping for some insider knowledge from some long time owners on things I should be looking out for? Not looking for general car buying knowledge but first gen explorer specific common problems and things I should ask the owner about. Any help would be appreciated.
The explorer is a XLT 4x4 with the manual transmission,push button 4x4 and auto hubs. Odometer shows just over 70k and owner says it has rolled over once with 170k. He says he has a car fax so I will see what that says but judging by the pics(haven't seen it in person yet) I believe him. It looks extremely clean inside and out(even the engine bay is clean). I have zoomed in on every pic and can't find a dent, chip, rip or anything wrong anywhere. It's almost hard to believe it even has 170k.
Owner has owned it 10 years and bought it from the original owner. It's always been a central Texas truck with no rust anywhere on it. Owner says it runs great and has a new fuel pump. Clutch, throw out bearing and rear main seal all done less than 20k ago.
He is asking just under $2000 for it but I am hoping to get it for closer to 1500. The excellent condition private party value is around 1400 but I can see why is asking alittle more looking through the pics.

Any info from long-time first gen owners regarding things to ask the owner about maintenance and anything I should be taking a good look at or listen for during my inspection and test drive is appreciated.
I also have my eye on 1994 limited 4x4 with auto parked at shop with bad tranny. This one is listed for 800 obo. I like the limited body and interior and this truck is just as clean as the XLT except for a scratch on the bumper. Also hard to believe it has over 100k. I would prefer the manual but if the owner won't come down in price I will be looking at getting the automatic rebuilt instead. What are prices y'all have paid for rebuilds on these autos?

Hopefully I'll be posting more here in the furure. I'm already pretty sold on a getting a ttb explorer so it shouldn't be long.

Thanks y'all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first gens are tough trucks, especially with the 5 speed manual tranny. Sounds like you've found a nice truck:chug:

Auto tranny rebuilds can run up to two thousand dollars which is why a lot of folks rebuild them themselves.

I think it is a nice truck.... But he could just be a great photographer. Will let you know soon.
Sounds like I will stay away from the limited with the auto then.
Thanks

ask the seller about the fuel pump. some after market pumps don't last long. auto hubs can also fail so lots of folks switch to manual lockers.

I'd get the 5-speed truck if it checks out otherwise. If it's cherry, I would go $2,000 on it, but that's me, a 1st gen fanatic. 1st gen Limiteds are getting rare, but I'd rather have the 5-speed myself.

He had the rear main seal done, which was one of the things I was going to suggest you look at. That and the auto hubs.

Test drive at highway speeds to see just how much shake the vehicle has between 60 to 70 mph. 1st generations are notorious for shake no matter how well tires balanced. I have always had some shake in mine now with 241K on it. You won't notice the shake around town speeds. I am the second owner since 1996. I have overlooked the shake as the vehicle is so useful to me. Check for rust just infront of wheel wells near lower plastic molding below back doors. Rust has just started to show up on mine on left side. All the little things you'll be able to trouble shoot or repair from this website. Good luck and enjoy!

There are a lot of relatively minor things that these older vehicles need, somewhat affected by use and geographic location. The good news is that most parts are readily available and not particularly expensive. Like most others that visit this forum I'd much prefer to keep an older, comfortable, and easy to maintain vehicle that's paid for than have a new(er) vehicle with all of the electronic whizz-bang gadgets and a mandatory visit to the dealer to reset the warning light every time I change the oil.

RUST!
Biggest thing to look for. Rust repair isn't fun or cheap.
$2K is high with 170K miles.

IMO a 94 is the best of the 1st gens. Probably the best of all gens due to the real front axle. a 94 comes with r134a refrigerant in the a/c instead of earlier ones that have been converted and are never as good it seems. of course crawl under it and check the suspension. radius arm bushings are not expensive but a common failure. you will hear a clunk in the floor board going over bumps and wear tires. There are a lot of U joints in the drive train, grab stuff and wiggle. lift a wheel and check for bearing looseness. Auto hubs ($250 for a top notch set of manual hubs) like to fail and you may want him to show you that the 4x4 works. If not, that is easy to fix - the U joints not so easy. Cooling system issues seem to be common, look for leaks at the heater control valve($20) (on the heater hoses left rear of the engine compartment just before the firewall). check for leaks at the rear of the lower intake gasket, water pump, radiator and check the fan for cracks. Most all have cracks but once in a while one comes apart and pierced the radiator and/or intake hose. Check for holes in the rubber intake hose, smell of gas around the carbon canister from inoperative evap purge valve. brake issues are common it seems- right rear locking up.

The manual trans Xplorers are the best as the automatic transmissions are notoriously weak, Fuel mileage sucks with most reporting around 14mpg, maybe 16 with manual trans (?) Brakes and tires wear out fast.

Buy it! (As long as your visual and test drive checks out) I've got a 94 xlt that I'm the third owner of, and it's got over 400,000 miles on it now, still going strong! I changed mine to a manual after 4 automatic transmissions, but you won't have to worry about that. These buggers will run forever with good maintenance, and will go anywhere you want to go! I would change the auto hubs to manuals, and rebuild the 4x4 shift motor though. Good luck, and good find!

IMO a 94 is the best of the 1st gens.
After owning 3 94's & then the 93...I'm going with 93 as the best. No emissions crap.
The 5 speeds are only slightly more reliable then the autos. I had to repair gears in 2 before 100K miles.

New to the Forum
I am going to look at a 1994 Explorer XLT 4x4 this weekend. I've done some searching around on here but was hoping for some insider knowledge from some long time owners on things I should be looking out for? Not looking for general car buying knowledge but first gen explorer specific common problems and things I should ask the owner about. Any help would be appreciated.
The explorer is a XLT 4x4 with the manual transmission,push button 4x4 and auto hubs. Odometer shows just over 70k and owner says it has rolled over once with 170k. He says he has a car fax so I will see what that says but judging by the pics(haven't seen it in person yet) I believe him. It looks extremely clean inside and out(even the engine bay is clean). I have zoomed in on every pic and can't find a dent, chip, rip or anything wrong anywhere. It's almost hard to believe it even has 170k.
Owner has owned it 10 years and bought it from the original owner. It's always been a central Texas truck with no rust anywhere on it. Owner says it runs great and has a new fuel pump. Clutch, throw out bearing and rear main seal all done less than 20k ago.
He is asking just under $2000 for it but I am hoping to get it for closer to 1500. The excellent condition private party value is around 1400 but I can see why is asking alittle more looking through the pics.

Any info from long-time first gen owners regarding things to ask the owner about maintenance and anything I should be taking a good look at or listen for during my inspection and test drive is appreciated.
I also have my eye on 1994 limited 4x4 with auto parked at shop with bad tranny. This one is listed for 800 obo. I like the limited body and interior and this truck is just as clean as the XLT except for a scratch on the bumper. Also hard to believe it has over 100k. I would prefer the manual but if the owner won't come down in price I will be looking at getting the automatic rebuilt instead. What are prices y'all have paid for rebuilds on these autos?

Hopefully I'll be posting more here in the furure. I'm already pretty sold on a getting a ttb explorer so it shouldn't be long.

Thanks y'all

I love my '94, maybe inappropriately. But I helped special order it back in '94 and it's been in the family since. Memories you know.

Get the 4x4 because it should have a better front suspension (as I understand.) Def. get the manual.

...brake issues are common it seems- right rear locking up.
I have a question about this as I haven't heard this mentioned before, but I have this issue.
When the weather is cold out and the truck hasn't been driven, the first time you step on the brakes, the right rear almost instantly locks for a split second. If you drive for a couple hundred yards and the breaks start to warm up, it goes away. Only happens when the temps drop below 60* F as far as I can tell.

What is the cause and what is the fix?

I have a question about this as I haven't heard this mentioned before, but I have this issue.
When the weather is cold out and the truck hasn't been driven, the first time you step on the brakes, the right rear almost instantly locks for a split second. If you drive for a couple hundred yards and the breaks start to warm up, it goes away. Only happens when the temps drop below 60* F as far as I can tell.

Rust.

On my ranger, it was the left rear that liked to lock up. Usually, slamming the brakes while in reverse was enough to clear it out. It did that even after a complete brake rebuild.

Yep. Rust. I'd consider rebuilding the innards of the drum. Both sides while I was at it.

Back