any way to modify my dana 35 to have a front cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any way to modify my dana 35 to have a front cover?

Reaction score
City, State
orlando fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4x4 4.0ohv 4 door
i was thinking about getting a cover for a dana 35 and cutting the stock cover right after the bolts then useing the cover as the front cover just so its ezer to get to the gears and locker. has any one ever done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No and you dont.
The beam is the cover for the diff, the beam is a structural member of your suspension, you cut it you can wave goodbye to your front end.

Now people do make skid plates for the beam to help it up and over rocks and to protect theback of the diff, but cutting the beam is a no no.
The beam is pretty damn strong, I can attest to that and so can the rocks I have plowed with it...

Yup, 410 hit it right on the money. Thats like cutting a notch out of your frame. Not a good idea

-Drew

lol ok i was just checking man thats going to suck pulling it out to put in my locker

its not that hard to get the diff out really, just get down to the splindles on both sides, then unbolt it....

Man, I'm always following up 410's work. But he's right. I helped pull the differential out of a early model F-250 and that thing was heavy. I doubt the Dana 35 will be that heavy, but I wouldn't do it alone. It's like looking at your rear end - cutting just the pumpkin out and with the carrier/gears and all - you have to hold it all. So basically, just get someone to help you if you are doing the install. And if you don't like doing it that way - disconnect the whole axle...throw it out and swap in a D44!

-Drew

i dunno how heavy the pumpkin is alone

but the whole axle arm + the radius arm with the pumkin is pretty heavy. I wouldnt man handle it unless you superman benching 315lbs on a daily basis.

...floor jack

the D35 diff is not that heavy, its about 50-60# max!

Back