• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Done Any Exhaust Mods?

AFKNinja

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
With the stock exhaust the 3.5 is a pretty quiet engine, which most people love, but me being a younger guy I find it kind of boring. With that being said, have any of you guys done an exhaust modifications to your explorers? If so how did it turn out and what kit did you use?

Just put on a kit from MagnaFlow. Nice sound! I passed the 'younger guy' stage a few centuries ago, but I like it! I priced the system at a local muffler shop, and then went to Performance Peddler, put in Explorer Pipes as a code term, and saved about $264! Installation took about an hour with only the rear up on ramps. The old system comes out after loosening the one clamp at the Catalytic Converter, and removing everything from the rubber mounts. If there is no rust holding it together, you can just pull it off in one piece. The new system is in 4 pieces, and required very little adjustment. If you can turn a wrench, and have an IQ over 14, you can do it easily. A 13mm deep socket and ratchet are the only tools required.

As a side note, are any of you out there bothering to paint the "Y" pipes black? It has bugged me how the rear of the Explorer looks incomplete with silver colored pipes showing. Almost an 'upskirt' look. I had painted my stock pipes, and now I have painted the new MagnaFlow system too. Heat resistant paint does the job famously. Yes, I painted the stainless mufflers too! Got over that lots of chrome desire many moons ago. :)

I'm about 10K miles from wrapping my exhaust. mid pipes and then the whole exhaust to the mufflers at the back.

using some fibreglass cloth tape - to insulate the pipes. I do this on most of my cars - not for the look - not for the car but to keep the exhaust gas as hot as possible. this allows for a little bit better flow rate and then I retune the car. Ideally you'd also take the headers off and wrap them or ceramic coat them - something else I'd like to do.

anyway it's good for a approximate 10% improvement in flow rate down the same pipe. SO if taking them off anyway - maybe give it a thought.

Back