Anyone found long tubes yet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone found long tubes yet?

whitestang04gt

Reaction score
City, State
Lowcountry, SC
Have anyone found long tubes for the 4.6L or know of anyone thats had some custom fab'd ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for the stang? check bbk, mac, kooks, and i thing hedman all make long tubes for the 4.6 in a stang in fact there are even more i cant think of the brands.

for the stang? check bbk, mac, kooks, and i thing hedman all make long tubes for the 4.6 in a stang in fact there are even more i cant think of the brands.

NO, isn't this the 2002-2005 Explorer/Mountaineers Forum..duh...Looking for longtubes to go in a 02 Mountaineer 2wd Automatic.

Has anyone tried F150 4wd headers, like pacesetter or anything. Kooks wants near $2000 for a custom made set.

K,

what is a long tube, and why do I want one?

-Shawn

They are headers, and if they are setup properly, they will extract the exhaust gasses from the motor better than stock headers. Given the limited room in the Gen3s, though, they are usually a convoluted design in an explorer, so their benefit is limited - they should still flow better than stock, but on a $ per hp gain, they are a fairly expensive, almost bling, mod.

You would be better off fitting a twin 2" system from the cats back - far cheaper, and from the cats back is more restrictive than from heads to cats. Just make sure you don't lose too much back pressure, or you will lose a lot of low down torque, so your truck may end up with more power, but it will get off the line like a tractor.

OOOOO

I know what a header is, I had never heard them called long tubes before. Cool, thanks!

I had wondered, though, what the benefit of unequal length header setups would be, especially considering Henry Ford put a gas tank in the way of the passenger side pipe...

or is that what that X pipe deal is supposed to help? Interesting topic...

-Shawn

They are headers, and if they are setup properly, they will extract the exhaust gasses from the motor better than stock headers. Given the limited room in the Gen3s, though, they are usually a convoluted design in an explorer, so their benefit is limited - they should still flow better than stock, but on a $ per hp gain, they are a fairly expensive, almost bling, mod.

You would be better off fitting a twin 2" system from the cats back - far cheaper, and from the cats back is more restrictive than from heads to cats. Just make sure you don't lose too much back pressure, or you will lose a lot of low down torque, so your truck may end up with more power, but it will get off the line like a tractor.

I would find it hard to believe loosing backpressure, considering its the same motor in the mustang, midpipes make the most gain over stock than a catback in the stang, long tubes give you lots of torque, sure a catback helps on these mounty's, but doing a true dual with & x crossover, should pick up massive gains. I am fixing to custom do a dual mandrel high flow catted midpipe into an x with true duals using magnaflow mufflers in the near future. I will post pics & dyno gains when complete.

I would find it hard to believe loosing backpressure, considering its the same motor in the mustang, midpipes make the most gain over stock than a catback in the stang, long tubes give you lots of torque, sure a catback helps on these mounty's, but doing a true dual with & x crossover, should pick up massive gains. I am fixing to custom do a dual mandrel high flow catted midpipe into an x with true duals using magnaflow mufflers in the near future. I will post pics & dyno gains when complete.

Same engine as the stang, but another 500kg of weight to haul around. I'm just going on advice my local exhaust place gave me, based on his experience with all types of 4WDs, and V8s in general.

Same engine as the stang, but another 500kg of weight to haul around. I'm just going on advice my local exhaust place gave me, based on his experience with all types of 4WDs, and V8s in general.

I think if it wasn't for the gas tank & irs, ford would have down normal dual exhaust. Mine will be made much like the 03/04 cobra where it goes dual directly under the irs. I will have before & after dyno's so I'm hoping to see a good gain. R&D on dyno has shown that a basic uncatted xpipe, catback, CAI, TB & Plenum on a mustang can net an easy 20-25 rwhp/tq max gain & even 35-40 at certain points in the RPM band. With a good tune those numbers can easily be 45-50 on an automatic. So i'm hoping the mounty will have some similiar gains with same mods.

Back