Anyone have a Storage Building?

CobraXP

Just another White X
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Early 97 X
Does anyone have a storage building similar to This? Curious about the strength/stability/environment resistant? - etc. I am debating on building one myself - or just buying one of these prefab kits. Nothing really important will be kept in it besides shovels, rakes, etc. The largest item that will go in it is my riding lawnmower.

Opinions? :thumbsup: :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen plenty of the light-gauge steel ones rust away before and have had experience with one that didn't hold up well near the salt air.

Recently, my wife and I purchased a pre-built aluminum-skinned one for her parents' house. It's made by Better-Built and is a 16' x 10' with 2x4 stud walls on 24" centers. The beams that it sits on are redwood and the joists and subfloor are treated pine. We were able to get it in colors to match the house colors. It came with a light fixture, light switch, duplex receptacle, and wired with the wiring pigtail hanging out of the bottom of it. We bought it with two vents at the gables, two small aluminum windows (that actually open) and one 4' wide swing door on the 16' wide side. We paid $1,950.00 for it and that included sales tax, delivery, and setup on unlevel ground. For $200 more, we could've gotten a single roll-up door on the 10' wide side instead of the swing door which would probably be like what you want since you want to store a riding mower. With its being off-ground, you would have to build a ramp to it. The only thing we did to theirs (besides add shelving) is replace the lamp fixture that came in it with a ceiling fan with light, run electricity to it, and attach the aluminum skin to an 8' long grounding rod. Since my in-laws are in their 80s, we might add steps or a ramp.

In my experience with these storage buildings, this is by far a more durable product than the steel ones you buy at Home Depot and Lowes. And with the steel ones, you still have to purchase a foundation kit or build a foundation which adds to the cost. Another thing to consider is the homeowner's insurance and what it will cover. I checked this week with the insurance carrier for the house and they said that they will cover the pre-fab aluminum building and its contents if we anchor it similar to how a mobile home gets anchored.

My advice is to check some pre-built aluminum units out. You'll be amazed how many styles and sizes there are available in storage buildings, workshops, and garages.

I'm debating the same thing. I hear that steel rusts easily. Even galvanized because it get scratched with use. Wood, I don't want because of the dampness in my yard. A vinyl building seems to be the best choice in my area of the country. Vinyl is the most expensive, followed by wood then steel. So, that should tell you something.

Thanks. The way those aluminum/metal buildings hold up to the environment was really what I was looking for. What you built is basically what I am planning if I built it myself (minus the windows). I planned on using a smaller roll-up door if I build it, but my only stopping point is that the largest I am going to build this is 10x8 - and I would like for it to be moveable. Next summer, I am pouring a slab 30'x50' in the backyard. On this will go a 24x32 garage, so the 10x8 will basically become nothing more than a place to throw buckets and serve as the wife's junk house.

The one I posted from Lowes is about as bottom line as you can get - without getting into the Rubbermaid boxes. I only thought of using it because of the garage that is going up next year. Problem is - I need something until then.... ;)

The cheap/steel ones will hold up if you're not anywere near a coastline. My parents have one that is at least 15 years old.... cheapy basic like you linked to..... and it looks brand new.

I stopped by Lowes and looked at it on the way home. Cheapy is definitely the word - but I think it will work for my plans this winter. Once the summer gets here and I get the slab poured and garage done, this thing will either be sold or it will get turned into a doghouse. I've got a 112lb doberman, and another one on the way (neighbor moving and can't take him with them). :D Either way, I really didn't want to build one because of the plans next year. Needed something a little more portable.

CobraXP said:
I stopped by Lowes and looked at it on the way home. Cheapy is definitely the word - but I think it will work for my plans this winter. Once the summer gets here and I get the slab poured and garage done, this thing will either be sold or it will get turned into a doghouse. I've got a 112lb doberman, and another one on the way (neighbor moving and can't take him with them). :D Either way, I really didn't want to build one because of the plans next year. Needed something a little more portable.

If you do this, follow the directions exactly. I have done two of these things and they have to be assembled exactly the way the directions say to do it. They hold up okay for the price, and if put together will be plenty strong for the snow.

I have assembled/ dissasembled about 10 of the metal type sheds.....The easiest way to build it is to build the roof and lift it up on the sides after.

Also, make sure it isn't windy.:D

The best part of the metal ones is the fact that two people can easily lift it up a few inches and move it around.

Also, since it is put together with screws only....You can take it apart, and keep it stored for future use. All of the ones I assembled / reasembled were ones salvaged from houses about to be torn down.They were easy to take apart, and put back together on different sites.

They only rust if there is a constant water supply on them, like a sprinkler aimed right at it.

I have had several - metal and wood - and I definately prefer the wood, but they are much harder to move around if that is the case.

The metal ones will last a long time, as several have said, but keep them clear of debris. I have found that the ribs that strengthen the roof line, also work to collect grass clippings, leaves, etc., and after a while they begin to get rusty in those spots, even if you are off the coastline.

Don't expect to do much of anything besides store stuff in the metal sheds. If you have any intentions of using one as a workshop build it in wood. The metal ones are just sauna's... and noisy as well.

Gimp,

Does "Better-Built" have a website? That sounds like what Ive been looking for, and at a price a little more that what it would cost in materials.

J. Kennedy,
Since I was calling the guy at the local Better Built Buildings place to inquire about a tie-down or anchor kit, I asked him if the company had a website. He said that the company did not have a website and that almost all of their independent dealers were located throughout the South. He said that if your area had a Better Built Buildings dealer that they would be listed in your telephone book's white pages under "Better Built" or in the yellow pages under such headings as "Buildings, Portable". He also said that if you did not have a Better Built dealer in your area that you could also check you local telephone book for a Robin Buildings dealer; that Robin is similar in construction and price to Better Built.
Hope this is helpful.

Back