Anyone paint the grill on their 91-94 X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone paint the grill on their 91-94 X?

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 blazer lt
I'm thinking of doing this when I do my clear corners. Paint my grill to the same dark green my truck is.

I think it'll look sweet. Has anyone done this and has pics? Of a 91-94 that is.

Where can I find the paint code for my truck?

Thanks,

Leo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chuckyD has a thread in the polls forum about painting his green to match his explorer. he photshopped some pictures to see what it would look like

paint code is on the drive side door on like the inside (door fas to be open to see) ..... ive been thinking bout doin this as well lund accessories makes like a grill insert it comes black but i think it would look sweet painted to match factory

Chris

want to paint everything or sections? madmike did his in sections..... the chrome may be hard to paint over

i think if i sanded it down good, put a good primer on it it would turn out good.

I would suggest getting a matte finish sport grill then. It would be easier to paint that than a chrome one.

its not that hard,mine is blue

Attachments

• frontend.jpg
    frontend.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 288

mike, did you paint under your explorer or have someone else do it. i think that looks cool.

or you could go to a junkyard and find a "limited" grill and paint it. they don't have any chrome on them and personally, i think they look better. but there's always the unchromed sport grille that Crankcase mentioned. good luck

looks good madmike, but i'll be painting the entire grille chrome and all. Even the lil pieces around the headlights.

Then I'm getting clear corners with green bulbs, i'm sure this will all look sweet once completed and I'll get pictures posted on my website as well.

Originally posted by lbrowne

Then I'm getting clear corners with green bulbs

is that legal in Canada?
here in PA the cops get anyone without DOT approved lights and lenses

Originally posted by leenjen
mike, did you paint under your explorer or have someone else do it. i think that looks cool.
I painted everything, just have to make sure you degrease really good then hit the wire wheel and a drill for ever then prime and finally paint, I dont really like all the blue so I'm painting the drop down brackets and sway bars, and steering stuff black. thanks guys.:D

painted grill

When I first got my X, about 2.5 years ago, I hated the black grill...so I painted it to match. I sanded it, primed it, and painted it, but 2.5 years later, some of it is starting to flake off if you look at it closely (about 1 foot away) but nothing noticeable to most.

http://php.indiana.edu/~cfelabom/grill3.jpg

I want to do the same thing, but i havent had a chance to give my grille and headlight piece to the guy who is painting them for me. I ended up buying another set so incase i didnt like it would just change it back.. As soon as school is over or i have some time to get over to the guy im doing it. If you get it done before me, lets see some pics!!!

welp, my paint is ordered. it'll be here this week and I'd say I'll have it done this weekend. pictures will definitely be done.

i was thinking if i don't like it, i was going to change the grill anyways. BUT i think with this all painted and put some chrome grill inserts she should look sweet.

how hard is it to remove the grill and the pieces around the headlight housing?

thanks,

leo

Not bad at all. The ones around the headlight are a little bit of a *****, but no biggie. Just make sure you get the clips on the bottom undone before you rip it out..lol
There are like 3 on each under side, i think
2 or 3

The worst part in removing the grill is those stupid little retainers along the top of the grill- they end up stripping and breaking.

Like ChuckyD said, just be careful with the bottom of the grill, and tilt it downwards to release the clips on the bottom.

To release the two metal retainer clips at the bottom of the grille - take an extra long flat screwdriver and insert into the two slots located on the top of the grille directly above the retainer clips. Slide the screwdriver against the radiator support until you reach the clips. Press down on the clips with pressure and pull the grille forward. The pressure you place on the clips from the screwdrive loosens the grip of the retainer clip from the radiator support.

well i got it started! :D

i have all the pieces out and i sanded down the grill somewhat with a fine sandpaper. i got a nice coat of primer on there now that will have one more coat of primer and then it'll sit and dry for 2 days till the paint arrives.

one thing tho, i COULDN'T get my dark toraline metallic pearl paint in a spray can. the closest i could get was jewel green metallic. the reason being they cant get the paint with a pearl coat in a spray can. (the toraline has a very slight slight bluish tinge to it)

i brought the samples out to the truck and matched the original colour and then the green that i have to settle for and theres hardly any difference. also, its not like its a body panel of one colour next to a body panel of another colour, it should work out.

i think now that i got everything apart, i should get those clear corners now, especially since my bulbs arrive tomorrow :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CHUCKYD: NICE Explorer!

I seen in your sig about those gauges....think they would make them for a Canadian calibrated speedo? where kilometers are on the outside and miles on the inside?

that would look awesome.

Back