Atlas II in a 98-2000? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Atlas II in a 98-2000?

Well after finally giving them 3 different credit cards to work with :fire: they managed to pull enough money out and ship it out today. :bounce: :bounce:

I'll plan to work on it wednesday and thursday evening, order driveshafts friday, and it will be back together in time to test it out before heading up to Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhh! The wait. . .Its torture. :banghead: I can't sleep, can't concentrate. . .I think I've read the online install manuals a half dozen times. . . :rolleyes:

I just want it to be done with. . .

So how much does this puppy cost? Does it come with everything you need except for driveshafts?

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by Jot017
So how much does this puppy cost? Does it come with everything you need except for driveshafts?

Happy trails!!
From advance adapters the 3.8:1 runs right at 2k (the 4.3:1 is more like 2.4k). Add to that the shift linkage and any custom output yokes you might want, and $hipping. . (a grand total of ~$2400 for me)

And yes the only other major thing would be new/modified driveshafts front and rear.

Alright, Now I'm Mad. :fire: My Atlas is still sitting on the shipping dock at Advance Adaptors. So much for trying to get it in before Moab.
Now, if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go find someone to :shoot:

Woo Hoo! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: It's here!

tcase_1.jpg

I'm going to make a desperate attempt to get some driveshafts made for me in time, so its still up in the air as to whether it will be in for Moab or not. This Monday being a holiday is just screwing everything up :fire:

P.S. I feel like I'm talking to myself :(

If anyone is still reading this:

Its officially off till after Moab. AA seems to have done their best to screw the outputs up. (hmm. . I seem to have heard this before) :banghead:

The rear is set up for a CV while the front is a U-joint. It should be the other way around (at least for my application)

Oh well. . .at least all the pressure is off to get it running before Moab.

They did the same thing to me, but I got a local shop to change it around and then I got rid of the CV and used a regular yoke with a double cardon joint.

by CV, I'm referring to a double cardan joint. . and not the true CV joint of the stock shaft

It's In!
Piece of Cake

(OK, so I can't shift it yet ;) . . . but that's tommorrow night :D )

Unfortunatly, the one night I want to use the digital camera from work, someone else needs it :rolleyes:

just wondering, how many t-case to tail shaft bolts does the '95+ have and how many splines is the output shaft, I really hope they make a Atlas 2 for the v8 Ex trans, if not I'm going to have a really bad time trying to find a t-case for my swap...

Up a little late last night, Jeff?

Originally posted by Savage Wolf
just wondering, how many t-case to tail shaft bolts does the '95+ have and how many splines is the output shaft, I really hope they make a Atlas 2 for the v8 Ex trans, if not I'm going to have a really bad time trying to find a t-case for my swap...
The 5R55E, 4R55E, and A4LD are all similar: 5 bolt, 25 spline output (w/ the 4x4 tailshaft anyway)

Originally posted by addkev
Up a little late last night, Jeff?
Oh no. . .midnight is early for my brother and I to finish our 4x4 projects. It's usually more like 2-4am :eek:

Okay, Jeff, when and where is the test run??? May I suggest Big Bear?

I know i'm going to get smacked around in for asking this, but i've been following this thread to just see what kind of a turn out he has, i was just wondering what exactly the AII does for you?

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by Jot017
I know i'm going to get smacked around in for asking this, but i've been following this thread to just see what kind of a turn out he has, i was just wondering what exactly the AII does for you?

Happy trails!!
The Atlas II is the t-case anyone would dream about (and I have been :D ): low ratio (3.8 or 4.2), independant shifting front and rear allowing a number of combinations (i.e. 2Lo rear, 2Lo front, 4Lo. . .), and bullet proof.

And my excuse for upgrading is that my stock 44-05 died a long horrible death (something to do with running Golden Spike when I already knew it was on its way out :) ).

Originally posted by RangerX
Okay, Jeff, when and where is the test run??? May I suggest Big Bear?
Well. . .my brother and I will probably make a short run locally saturday to make sure all is well, and then I'm up for anything :D

Is Los Coyotes still on for the 22nd?

I still haven't made it out to Big Bear, so that would be cool too.

Ok, so I get all the shift linkage set up, and pop her into Lo and :eek: Holy Crap thats low! :D :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for clarifying that for me, does sound pretty sweet. What is the low ranger ratio for a stock tcase?

Happy trails!!

Back