Attention Flowmaster Owners/Lovers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Attention Flowmaster Owners/Lovers

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
mmm Flowmastersss

I’ve had the original 40 series on my truck before; however, the drone at cruising speeds on that muffler is just crazy. I read up on delta flow and how it “kills interior resonance”. Im not 100% sure what that means, but all of Flowmaster’s newer mufflers (Super 40, 44, ect) have it. The reason I got rid of my Original 40 was the drone while cruising was just annoying most of the time; however, I did like how it sounded while accelerating. Anyone with a delta flow muffler, how is the cruising drone on them? I like to hear my truck when accelerating and revving; however, while cruising I just want a nice hum, not a loud droning sound.

Also a random question. Flowmaster’s American Thunder kits. What kind of mufflers do they utilize? Super 44’s?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IIRC the american thunder kits include the Orig. 40 series muffs.

I had a 70 Series on the 96 V6 X and it was quiet at cruise. Check w/Aldive as I think he has one also.

previous owners had my 01 sport and they had the dual 70 series and i didnt like it that much now i got the dual 40 series and big difference in sound i like it a whole lot better.

previous owners had my 01 sport and they had the dual 70 series and i didnt like it that much now i got the dual 40 series and big difference in sound i like it a whole lot better.

Which stage 40 series? Hows the cruising drone?

Afboy143, Have you been to the flowmaster website? They have a good description of the interior sound volume for the different mufflers. If you have had one in the past the comparisons should make sense to you as opposed to a guy who had never had one.
I had duals 2 1/4" on the 96 X so the sound was a little more than a single exhaust would be.
I've got duals (removed the resonator) on the Mounty also and just developed a hole in the OEM muffler. I think I'm going to replace it with another 70 series Flowmaster.
On the V6 it was "burbly" at idle, "throaty" at acceleration & quiet at cruise. Hope it's the same with the 5.0.

I had a 70 Series on the 96 V6 X and it was quiet at cruise. Check w/Aldive as I think he has one also.

Yes I do. And its quiet at cruise; no drone. My son has a Flow 70 on his V8 Titan and also has no cruise drone, but it sounds great when he is in the throttle.

I just have an original muffler but my camaro had the flowmaster 40 and that thing is super loud. Drones like crazy at curizing speeds, might have to change it out, just too annoying especially with the top down.

The 70 series is the only one that doesn't drone that I am aware of.

i am not sure which 40 series flowmasters i got

mmm Flowmastersss

I’ve had the original 40 series on my truck before; however, the drone at cruising speeds on that muffler is just crazy. I read up on delta flow and how it “kills interior resonance”. Im not 100% sure what that means, but all of Flowmaster’s newer mufflers (Super 40, 44, ect) have it. The reason I got rid of my Original 40 was the drone while cruising was just annoying most of the time; however, I did like how it sounded while accelerating. Anyone with a delta flow muffler, how is the cruising drone on them? I like to hear my truck when accelerating and revving; however, while cruising I just want a nice hum, not a loud droning sound.

Also a random question. Flowmaster’s American Thunder kits. What kind of mufflers do they utilize? Super 44’s?

You commented on the sound of my exhaust a few times, have you considered going the IMCO/Cherry bomb route? When cruising I really had no drone at all. I think if you went the Pro or Elite route you would still get the sound your looking for, but without the drone that you have now. Even though I never really noticed the drone when I had flowmasters. Are you running a full exhaust with tailpipes?

You commented on the sound of my exhaust a few times, have you considered going the IMCO/Cherry bomb route? When cruising I really had no drone at all. I think if you went the Pro or Elite route you would still get the sound your looking for, but without the drone that you have now. Even though I never really noticed the drone when I had flowmasters. Are you running a full exhaust with tailpipes?

Yeah I have a offroad Y pipe (no cats) from the manifolds then they feed into a single 2.5" pipe exiting out the side rear

I was reading, the pro series is just a flowmaster original 40 series clone with the deflector tilted sideways a bit to prevent "copyright". I read up on the "delta flow" and its supposed to cut down on interior drone a bit compared to mufflers without (which the super 44 has). We shall see!

I had flowmaster delta flows on my 04 Mach 1 with no cats, man all i can say is driving on the highway the drone was BAD. I drove it to NY to get my cobra and i hated it after 45 mins...

Delta Flows drone!

mine has the stock 4 cats on mine but i am thinking of removing 2 of them.

I had flowmaster delta flows on my 04 Mach 1 with no cats, man all i can say is driving on the highway the drone was BAD. I drove it to NY to get my cobra and i hated it after 45 mins...

Delta Flows drone!

Crap! There goes my genius idea. I guess Ill stick with a turbo muff for now

Back