attica badlands 2001

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I saw some had responded to the other thread, but I thought I'd start another one where people could post some pics without having to go through so many pages of crap :).
ANyways, had a good time. Learned a few lessons.
if your gut instinct is that something bad will happen, SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN!!! After taking all kinds of crap for not towing out the explorer I realized why on the way home. First off, the wind was so bad coming through kansas with multiple tornada watches and warnings, I had to keep it at about 3000-3500 rpms just to be going 65 (I was driving right into the wind). Then once I hit Limon or so, a huge snowstorm had gone through. Jackknifed cemis all over the place, ditches littered with vehicles, and one samurai that passed me doing about 60 when I was doing about 20, I met him about 30 miles down the road when he had rolled it on to its roof. I lost control of the F-150 several times but luckily was able to keep from hitting anything and keep it out of the ditches (denver winter driving 101 paid off for me!) :). However, the drive home did not continue without an accident. I was pulling in to a rest area to shut my eyes for a while at about 2 in the morning, and found the entrance partially blocked by a semi. I thoiught no problem I can get around, and I didn't see one of those stupid 3' posts that are there for no good reason and by the time I realized what was happening I had put a pretty good scratch the full length of the vehicle, sometimes several inches high and fairly deep. CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, I am 99% sure that if I had been towing the explorer through this since it didn't have brakes and I have virtually no towing experience (especially towing something not much less then the weight of the truck), that had I been towing, something would have gone bad. Especially with all the fishtailing I did all over the interstate even at 10 miles per hour.

Back to the event, had a great time! Thanks to everyone for letting me bring my truck out in the mud a bit, that made it all worth while :). A few thoughts for individual people.

Rick and Andre - thanks for lettin me ride with you for most of of the trip. I'll pay you back with lots of pictures of your vehicles once I get them online :). i

Riff - thanks for the laughs :).

Matt (other Matt) - love your style of four-wheeling, I ma yhave to pick that up myself :).

RFR - thanks for letting me crash at your place for a while.

Austin - thanks fo rletting me drive your Explorer in the query even for a few minutes. I'd gone into serious withdrawl not being able to drive, though I was still having plenty of fun!

Bill Kemp and the other guy with the Red explorer who showed up for a few minutes just ot meet us then left - thanks for showing up, it was good to meet everyone and put a face with a name. I enjoyed the typical "I expected you to be in your thirties!" response from everyone, and even having to show my ID to a few folks to ensure the fact that I am only 20 years old, LOL.

Xargon - thanks for winching everyone out there at the end, especially that fool in the chevy who tipped it into the water... what an idiot.

Scott Colba and Leggo - thanks for lettin me ride with you even though it was brief. I enjoyed it immensly.

Scott Colba and Andre - thanks for the tows with the F-150. We learned a valuable lesson - the truck needs a lift :).

Kampy - how much to install a solid front in my Explorer? I could ship it out there on a train or something :). Seriously, it was goo dhaving an expert out a long on the runs!

To the guys I met at the rest stop on the way back from Attica on their way to St. Louis who I told ot check out the board - good meeting you guys. Next time your in the Denver area look us up, we'll get a run together.

I'd say thanks to superlift for putting this all together, but I didn't win anything at the raffle, not even a pair of panties (for those that weren't there you wouldn't get this joke, LOL)

I hope to get through all of those pictures and get some online shortly, as of now I need some rest. Took me 20 hours to get home thanks to the crummy weather, though without it it probably would've taken 17 or so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

colba=barret.....hehe...that wasn't me big guy!!

well....needless to say...I HAD A BLAST!!!! I have to thank everyone for being there and putting up with my breaking crap every 5 minutes!!! A BIG OL HONKIN THANX to kampy for fixing my X every 5 mintues!! Leggo....thanx for the equiptment to get my x outta here!!

I'm not sure if Sargon looks at this board but hes the man too!! He put Pigpen back on her wheels...and even had CO2 to reset the bead on my tires!!!!

There are a lot more thanx to go out....and spare parts to be returned...but i tell ya what....with people breaking stuff....getting stuck....not haveing there explorers....whatever,, and EVERYONE pitching somthing in....all pulling together to try to keep every one out on the trail and wheeling...THAT is what wheeling is all about!!! It *sniff* brings a tear *sniff* to my eye that everyone was part of the group....and what a TIGHT group we are!!!! Thanx everybody!!!! (ok..im done being cheesy now)

[edited portion]

Oh yeah....keep an eye on the Offroad Magazine....i had the photographer with me for a good part of the day on saturday!

I had one of the best times I can ever remember this weekend!

Let me start off with thanks and whatnot.

Kampy-Ann. You 2 are some of the best people a person could ever wish to meet. Kampy you saved at least 3 people some serious pain this weekend! You are one nifty guy. Ann what can I say hummm I know what I can say ONE GREAT GAL!

Matt (2001expsport) you thought me a lot this weekend. As I was somewhat a virgin goin into this. I learned I need to listen to my spotter and not my gut or anyone else on the trail. Matt got out with a cracked radiator, we fixed it to get home with Elmers glue, and barrs stop leak :). I just got a call from Matt and the leak is still there so he took off work and is going to pull that bad boy today and fix her up.

Riff- don’t know what to say. Every time I see ya I like ya more and more. You are one funny A$$ guy.

Barret- Thank you for letting me ride along yesterday (Sunday) when my transfer case seems to have taken a crap. I had a good time ridding with ya even though I said I wasn't going to get wet and muddy and I ended up walking in the creak in water up past my knee in some spots.

Lego- One cool A$$ guy

Splashman (Brian)- How about that Hill???? This is your story to tell but let’s just say for a virgin offroader on a hill with a 45 % grade and some off camber turns he did pretty good. He was doing some serious 3-wheel motion.

Sargon- (my jeep buddy from work) if it were not for that little Jeep there would have been some serious problems. I was not there for the Riff problem but was there when the Full sized Chevy rolled into the water.

Dre- Humm I learned a thing or two from you also. Lessons one don’t open your door on the side you are off camber on. This is something everyone should know. I didn’t think about it.

Rick, and MattAdams- Thank you both for making the long drive out. Matt you are one cool guy and you are welcome to drive my 98 anytime! As long as I get to take Vegas out on the Highway and wait for someone to cut me off so I can turn the daylight on them!

Cableguy (john) and Girlfriend- Your X surprised a lot of people with no locker and 33’s he did stuff that people with locked and 35’s had a hard time doing. He broke a steering stabilizer off but that was it. How are the mushrooms working out for ya? Do you taste colors yet ;-) for those not there you will not understand.

DarkKnight- Hope the clutch gets ya home ok! That was one hell of a thing you did coming out of that tube at mach 5 J for those who have not been to Attica there is a tube you have to drive in to get from one side of the trail to the other and there is at least a 2 foot drop at the other side.

Dannyboy, and Joff- Glad everything worked out in the end! Danny look forward to wheelin with ya at the Pipeline.

RFR (Pete)- think I pissed Pete off a bit since he threw me into a car Saturday night, I think this was all in good fun but oh well. You are another one that every time we meet I like ya more and more. I am glad you found the MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD that you and riff wanted so bad. How long did it take to clean the truck so your mom can drive it?

For all the others I am forgot I had a great time! I can’t wait till we can till we can all get together again!

I HAD ONE HELLO OF A GOOD TIME> THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR MAKING THE TRIP!!!!!

EVERYONE pitching somthing in....all pulling together to try to keep every one out on the trail and wheeling...THAT is what wheeling is all about!!! It *sniff* brings a tear *sniff* to my eye that everyone was part of the group....and what a TIGHT group we are!!!! Thanx everybody!!!! (ok..im done being cheesy now)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Riff-

Yuo could not have said it better. For the most part most of ther people there didn't know anyone else. everyone got along like we have known eachother for year and have been best friends. We pulled together when needed and got things done! I have never been part of a Auto group who has done this! we have a unique thing going on here!

Riff-

I got sargon the link to the page he will now be a member. I also think he needs to be added to the ofical TOW TRUCK part of NOIEC! That little jeep may not be able to break 70 on the highway, but on the trail that thing gets the job done!

Thanks!!

I know how everybody wants to get a bit of rest after this trip but let me throw a few words here. I don't think I can thank you all enough for great time....... Oh yeah! we had a blast!!!!!! More about the whole thing later..... My truck is clean now...... there will be lots of pictures and a few videos...... it was one great run.....

All my thanks go to:
Todd and his wife Annie
Rick
Matt Adams
Matt
Scott - Riffman
Scott Barrett
Pete
Rich
Brian
Austin
Leggo
Dark Knight
Dan and his buddy Goef
Sargon
John
and Eric for their patience, support and just for being there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you guys!!

Bart says HI!!!

Rick! I couldn't find you to thank you in person but I think I'll have an opportunity in Moab.....

Matt, glad you made it home safe but it's too bad you damaged your truck.......

Later all, pics are being developed...... all I have to do later is scan over 100 of them...... LOL

View

I had a blast, I want to thank everyone for making this a great trip and especially...

Matt(2001ExpSport)- Your crazy but smart. I would follow you through any trail. Without your advise and patience I would still be stuck on that frigg'n hill. You are officially Brandon's hero now.
View

Jon(CableGuy)- That launch out of that hill on Sunday is dedicated to you. Thanks for the spotting.
View

Sargon(Its a J**p thing)- I have a greater appreciation for J**ps now. Thanks for letting me ride around with you on Sat. Can I have your rear locker?
View

Scott(Riffman)- MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD - You DA MAN!
View

Kampy(Mr Toolman)- You can fix my rig anytime, but it shouldn't break as long as Scott don't drive it.
View

All in all, I didn't kill myself, my son or anyone else and my rig is still running so I guess I did ok.

Andre you were right there is always an obstacle that will be your nemesis until you conquer it and that hill is mine. I WILL get it next time. When we ganna do this again? I'm stoked.
View

Once again, thanks to everyone for making it a great trip and I can't wait to wheel with you all again.

Wow gang. I left a post on the Attica Run thread but let me refresh now that it's morning. I got home 14 hours after we left the Badlands. That was cool with me to scrap parts out of my truck to the guys on the trail but next time I think I should take them back when I leave. I now have engine mods( greasy rag air filter, masking tape brake fluid resivoir cap) This thing hasn't been in this bad of shape since I bought her. But my rearend is looking good and it works. I had to drive home holding the flash to pass lever for four hours. THAT SUCKED. And I am not sure if my temp gauge is working so I cranked the heat for the last hour. OUCH I JUST GOT A BUG BITE. THAT'S RIGHT NO MORE HIGH CENTERING. Dre I want that 4" kit for the front. We'll talk cause I owe you money for other stuff. Just please don't take it out of my *ss cause I don't have much of one left. Once again, thanks Riffman, you are a savior. You too Kampy

Attica!!

Man, what a great group of guys!!!

Not to be reduntant, but this has to be the best weekend I have had for a LONG time!

Riff, you're right! We are one tight group. Nobody leaves until everyone is fixed. Then again, not like we could go any further because you were always blocking the trail!...LOL

Kampy, you are gold!

It was great to meet MattAdams and Rick. I am glad you two had a great time. The first day was definitely lame, but thet last two rocked!

For those of you who's first wheeling experience was this event my hat goes off to you. Some of you were unsure at first, but with the confidence of a spotter you guys learned that the spotter isn't going to get you into trouble to the best of his ability. Once you learned the type of trail and what type of wheeling was required you guys did just fine in my book.

As for me, I was lucky to just get away with a cracked radiator. Like I always say guys, it could've been worse! Thanks to Ford for making the sides of the radiator and mounts plastic!

CableGuy, RichSport, Austin, Scott Colba, Sargon, DarkKnight, Brian and Brandon-Thanks for sticking around and helping me get back on the road. Without you guys I would've had a hard time getting home.

Pete-Thanks for the tour of Purdue, you are such a stud.

See you soon guys!!

Due to the fact that I'm still tired (I like sleep :)) I'll get my word in here. I'll be a lil shorter than all, seeing as how most of us come across with the same message. I had a blast! I was a bit turned off last fall when I had to miss the turkey run due to mechanical breakdown, prior to the run. The unfortunate problem with this attica run, it brought back the desire to wheel, but like ten times greater. One may ask themselves why this is a problem, and I'll say because I don't exactally have tons of money to feed this sport! I love it and try to keep up with it, but I'm plannin on going back this summer, with the intent of having a V-8 under the hood! Mattadams and rick(despite the lil time talking w/ you and seeing the pumpkin) I had a blast meeting 2 of the moderators, just hopefully next time will bring both of you and BOTH trucks. I was glad to see and hang with the regulars, as well as other newbies to the area (leggo, sargon, dark knight cableguy) I had a blast meeting with you!! Todd, I commend you on the relentless work that you showed to all the guys there!(Even though Riff needed you to help Piggy twice) None the less, yer axle setup and rocksliders sure passed the test! Anyone wanna fill me in on what happened sunday? I think I yelled at my friend enough that I wasn't happy about missing sunday! I think Adrienne coming (copiolt the whole time, although Rich was an excellent one) and ORANGE trail are necessary next time. I've yet on these runs to give my truck a name, but it survived....nicely damaged. Thanks to the tree section on the pink trail Matt guided me through, I saw after washing the truck, that the body surely suffered. Oh well, part of the sport! Can't wait till next time, or till pics are up!

*stepping of soapbox now*
Pete

P.S. I WANT MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD!! and another trip before school starts w/ my 302 in!

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Like everyone else has allready said....... I had a blast! I suffered a little breakage on Sunday. Providing The sheered off bolts come out, I shouldn't have a problem fixing the steering stabilizer. It is amazing how much damage a big rock can do going only about 3-4 MPH. Anyways, it was still fun. Thanks goes out to all of you for letting me and my girlfriend tag along. Hope to do it again some day soooooooooooon!

Rick, it was a pleasure meeting you. I think I got a good picture of my little explorer next to the Pumpkin. That was my goal for the weekend. (that and stay right side up......... no offense Riff!)

Matt, same goes to you. Just remember one thing...... it is a lot easier to go fast when your IN GEAR!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see all the pictures and maybe someday Vegas too!

As for all you other jugheads...j/k The weekend was a lot of fun. I was worried about what my explorer could handle, but with all your help I think she did pretty well. I am looking into 4.10 gears and at least a locker in the rear, so next time there should be NO problems.... barring any 50 foot fallen trees!!!! Thanks for the winch Andre!

If any of my pictures turn out halfway decent, I will put them on cd and post them or email them to you if needed. Out of 120 pictures, some of them should be worth looking at.

Everyone was new to me, so I just wanted to say how nice everyone was and the pleasure was all mine. If any of you guys are down around this way, don't hesitate to give me a ring. I look forward to the next event, or get togethor. Keep me posted!!!!!!!

(I still owe you one Barret!!!!!)

Anne and I would also like to say to the guys that came from so far away, thanks for coming. We had a great time, it was nice to meet all the new people.

Just a short side note on the sentiments stated by the others in previous posts, I agree, we have a fantastic group of people . That's what makes this sport so much fun, helping each other out.

I myself like to help others and I feel that I'm the one who is privileged to be able to help others who don't have the experience I do. Hopefully everyone learned something this weekend and will be able to pass it on to someone else sometime down the road. I know I did.

Rick, it was good to meet you, I don't know what your expectations were but hopefully we came close to meeting them. I hope the long trip was worth the end result.
Matt A, glad you got home safely, sorry to hear about the truck.
Danny, glad you got home ok and the rearend didn't give any more trouble.

The photos aren't all loaded yet but you can find them on photpoint. Go through my signature.

Later guys, and again thanks to all who came to play.

I'm gonna put up a few pics of Riffs on the whoops page for those who didn't get to see it.

So what did Superlift think of the turnout of all the Explorer's????

Hope you were able to show them that the Explorer isn't just a soccer mom car.

Originally posted by SplashMan
Scott(Riffman)- MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD - You DA MAN!
View

Hmmmm, do we have a new member of the Rollover Posse? :D

Welcome to the club! :smoke:

Originally posted by GJarrett

Hmmmm, do we have a new member of the Rollover Posse? :D

Welcome to the club! :smoke:

hehe...COOL! thanx!!

Perry-

I am not sure if superlift cared we were there of not! we did surprise the hell out of a lot of people! I know for a fact from Cableguy that we had some older broncos and jeeper wondering how the hell we made it up one pretty hairy will that even they had trouble on! We got all sorts of looks over the weekend! On the way home we got more since every one of our trucks was covered from tire to roof in mud :) MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD MUD !!!

We had some ATVERS thinking we were crazy also since we went down and ATV trail that was very narrow and muddy, but we had a blast

it was funny to see the faces of all those that didn't believe Explorers are on the trails!!!

I remember a moment when I went rock climbing in the quary and there was a Chevy K5 sitting right in front of that one hill I wanted to attack......... I asked him if he's going up..... he told me he's thinking about it so I went around him and up the hill - got up on the very first take, you had to see the look on his face......... that's why also once I made it the first time up that same hill earlier and John has made it and then Pete we saw an array of Jeepers going that same way inlcuding a 10 year old....... they just wanted to show that it's really not that big of a deal.......

lol

Later,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

piece of cake

There were a few non believers out there. Especilly the guy in the huge purlple fullsize broco. He seperated his front driveshaft trying to climb this rock face. We had to help him back off of it. Once he pulled off to the side i just couldn't resist climbing right up it without spinning a tire. He did't say anything but you know in the back of his mind he was saying "something's not right here!"

Anyone who wanted to go and didn't, missed out! The good thing is, there is anothere event in October. I think it would be very cool to have at least 30 explorers at this one. I know one from Cleveland, Ohio, and one from around D.C. is coming. I know this isn't Moab, but it does have some very challenging trails, just ask Rick or Matt Adams. 1000 acres for your enjoyment from mild to wild as they put it. For any of you that think you are just the Sh*#t, Badlands does have a trail that is rated at at 5+. This Ramsey event is going to be the finale to the other 4 events so there are going to be photographers there from different magazines doing stories. I good turnout would be an eye opener to a alot of people as to how many stout Explorers are out there. I don't want to have to beg, but if anyone can make it, I can garuntee you will have a good time!!!!

Back