aussie locker install how to: solid axle 8.8 (pics+video!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aussie locker install how to: solid axle 8.8 (pics+video!)

Damn, I just re-read what Chad posted about his setup. Chad, what kit did you use on your LS rear??? Everyone keeps telling me I need an open diff to do a locker and I can't do one with my LS rear...

I need some clarification. ???

Jerry you can get the Powertrax No-Slip, instead of the Powertrax Lock-right, which is model # 92-0688-3128 as per http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/fordtruckns.pdf

It runs about $450-500, I think ( a little more expensive) but it's the type of locker I'm thinking about getting too (except the one designed for non LS diff). Best for on road performance, compared to other similar autolockers, from what I"ve read...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the links guys. 4 a.m. comes around fast so I should get some sleep while Matthew (my 6 month old) is asleep, it doesn't last long, he's cutting teeth.

Anybody have any advise on how to get the right (pass. side) c-clip back out? i measured without putting the c-clips in, and shortly after installing i lost an axle seal that i was too cheap to replace while i had it apart

you will need to find a very thin wire hanger, then bend it in the shape of a "c" that will allow you to pull the c-clip in place.

prop all of the components together with the open side of the c-clips facing you, once you have the axle shafts in place, use the hanger you bent up to pull the c-clips toward you.

its already together, im trying to get it apart, hopefully that will work in reverse, but i had a hell of a time getting it in, the clip fit extremely tight, as the clearences were way tighter than spec, but torque masters said it would be fine with the measurments i had

ronin and i had similar problems, sometimes it helps to fit it all together first without using any grease. then if you get into spec there, you can reassemble it with the grease to help it stick together. good luck on your instal, let me know if theres any questions i might be able to help you with.

I find magnet-tip tools are good for getting the c-clips in & out, and also extra-long needle-nose pliars are good.

Looks like I'll be doing an install in the next week or so.. Hope I don't regret getting a non-selectable while driving in the mountains! :) I figured I'd start with this, and if I need to switch to selectable, I'll sell the Aussie to someone on this forum and go ahead and get a selectable.

aussieorder.jpg

good stuff bro, i drive my rig mainly in the northern sierra mountains, similar to the rockies and i think the aussie is the perfect fit for that type of terrain. hands down one of the best investments ive ever made in a vehicle.

good stuff bro, i drive my rig mainly in the northern sierra mountains, similar to the rockies and i think the aussie is the perfect fit for that type of terrain. hands down one of the best investments ive ever made in a vehicle.

It's you're DD too, right? Ever driven in snowy / icy conditions? People say it seems to slide out if you need to gas it on a turn, but seems to recover pretty quick and predictably..

Oh yeah, it used to be my daily driver here in the bay area, I was doing about 300 miles a week in it, but now its strictly a weekend toy now. And yes, half the time I'm up in the mountains, its during snow time. It runs like a tank in a straight line even in snow and rain, but you have to understand the physics of how they work. You can't expect to drive them like regular open diffs because they aren't. As long as you don't gas it during turns, it will be hard to lose control, even in the snow. You'll see once you get them on, it almost makes wheeling unfair. We have a jeep jk Sahara and during the summer months, we always take the trac over the wrangler into the mountains. Now in the snow and ice, nothing will be beat true 4x4, but when it comes to summertime fun, the lockers are awesome. I'm actually planning to slap a set un our JK in the next year. Once you get them installed, go hit up some trails you run regularly. Go find those lines and sections that would normally give you trouble, then hit them with those lockers ripping and you will see what I mean when I say its almost not even fair with lockers.

thanks FROADER, when this write up turned into a sticky, i was so proud, my gf was telling me that i talked about it like i just won a grammy.

I did this mod on my 2wd 05 trac and it's badass. I've been tearing it up in the sand mainly, surprisingly I haven't gotten stuck...yet lol. Mad props Lono this thread helped a lot during my installation

no problem, glad i could help! just pass the knowledge along, that's what ive been doing since ive joined the forum. gotta get out in the dirt and show all these other wheelers how capable our X's can be.

no problem, glad i could help! just pass the knowledge along, that's what ive been doing since ive joined the forum. gotta get out in the dirt and show all these other wheelers how capable our X's can be.

The writeup was great man! I installed my Spartan locker in 4 hours (independent suspension so I got to Spartan not Aussie to make it easier) and was tearing it up right after that! Regardless, true 2 wheel drive is bad ass and purely American, adding that front tire up front and you can climb the world!

I wouldn't have done it without this writeup I don't think!

Well this was a great insight. My LS blew up in my 00 Ex, Have to start from scratch, figure once I get the money all saved up I'll throw a locker of some sort in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up.

I just installed a Spartan Locker and I like it. Much easier going up snow covered hills.. I've only put a few hundred miles on it, I see no issue with it for a daily driver.

Once you drive one, you will understand how it behaves. Lighten up on the throttle when taking a tight corner to let it work, you can hear it ratchet. Otherwise it locks and one tire scrubs the pavement.

Back