• Register Today It's free!

Auto transmission upgrades

Tarron

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO & Ft Garland, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4X4
It's time to be kind to my automatic transmission and I'm going to install a B&M model 70264 cooler and a temperature gauge. The problem is that the B&M temperature gauge looks like junk with only about 40 degrees of movement. Is anyone running an Autometer oil temperature gauge or a different brand? How do you like them? I'm interested in accuracy first, looks second, and ease of install third. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Perma-Cool filter guage combo.
My temp guage starts at 140 and durning the winter months it does not get warm enough to move the needle. ( it took me three months to believe it actually worked )
spring and summer it has plenty of movement.
A fliter with the other mods won't hurt one bit.

Attachments

• ODYR-08-3.jpg
    ODYR-08-3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 248

It looks like mine has a oem trans cooler. Are these garbage? Becasue the shop that just overhauled my tranny ($3000 bill) said I should install a temp gauge and tranny cooler?

Thanks once again

I sure do like all the information that is available here.

Monmix where did you get your Perma-Cool combo? I tried to do a search for it but most of the results were broken links or other forums talking about transmission coolers.

Al thanks for the picture of the gauge. I think that is the gauge I will use. Where did you get the front window post gauge holder? I'd like to get one of those too.

I have a B&M cooler with a 10" fan on it, a aftermarket transmission pan with 2 wuart extended capacity, I use an Autometer Phantom trans temp gage, electric.
IT goes from 130 to 250, my trans runs at 150-200

Nice gage

Tarron said:
Al thanks for the picture of the gauge. I think that is the gauge I will use. Where did you get the front window post gauge holder? I'd like to get one of those too.

I got the gauge and the pod from DaKota Digital.

Tarron, you might try www.summitracing.com. They have the perma-cool filter/temp gauge combo, #prm-10677, $79.88. I am supposed to be getting the summit kit #sum-g4980 tommorrow. With that kit you can add a temp gauge later or a temp gauge of your choice.

I run an Autometer electric temp gauge. It is mounted in an A-pillar pod - looks good, easy to read.

I tapped into the cooler line for the sender. I am in the "to the radiator" line, so I read the hot temp of fluid. I doubt the fluid cools very much during the 4 feet of travel between the tranny and my sender.

Reading the temperature is relative - exact temp is not critical. While you don't want the temp to go over (or near) 240 degrees, use the gauge to watch the trend. If the temp goes up, adjust accordingly (slow down, or pull over and stop.) I don't think I have seen over 200 degrees.

How did you run the temp sender in the line? Is the tip of the sender actually in the flow of the ATF? I had my sender in the line for a while as well, using some brass T fittings, etc to make it work. Now the sender has its own boss in the side of the pan, the acuraccy of the gage has been improved ALOT

Thanks for the assist Expodriver,
Yeah I got mine from Summit.
I mounted the guage on my steering column.

Thanks for all the information

I can't wait to get back home and install everything.

OOPS, My Bad

I got my kit just now (summit sum-g4980). It came in a generic brown box with a perma-cool filter #81043, a shorty. Nice kit but the filter adapter Does Not come with a hole for a gauge. If you look on summits sight and look at the picture it shows a plug coming with the kit. The picture is correct, you get a plug but no hole to plug. Ok by me, I was not that concerned with a temp gauge now anyway. Hopefully in the next few days I can get it installed. I have a quick question. Since it is recommended to change the filter after 75 to 100 miles, should I get an inexpensive filter to use the first 75 miles and then put the purolater filter on?

Back