Autostop eliminator | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autostop eliminator

Just get a float charger, plug it in over night once a week. As for any nebulous savings - they'll be offset by the cost of batteries and starters.
Better yet, get the only Explorer version that does NOT come with ASS. I did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed the Autostop eliminator. Pretty easy, but is really my only complaint on the vehicle. Complete BS that the consumer has to buy the part to allow you to toggle the autostop off indefinitely. The resetting oem switch is one of those forced economy features that would make me really consider another brand. At least my '20 Edge let me toggle it off indefinitely.

Anyone know what this actually does? It plugs into the steering control module inside the housing on the column but what is it actually doing/modifying? Any idea?

Reportedly, if you disconnect the battery sensor on top of the battery (small redish plug-in connector) it will disable the system. Works on my friends Ranger. Haven't tried it yet on mine.

Reportedly, if you disconnect the battery sensor on top of the battery (small redish plug-in connector) it will disable the system. Works on my friends Ranger. Haven't tried it yet on mine.
As far as I know that blocks the vehicle from knowing battery voltage and throwing errors if things are out of whack. Not sure this is desirable?

Checked OASIS. Only throws 1 DCT (battery sensor not working). No other known affects on his ride anyway...

Anyone know what this actually does? It plugs into the steering control module inside the housing on the column but what is it actually doing/modifying? Any idea?
It just records and restores the last state of the button when the vehicle starts up. This tricks the car into thinking you disabled it right when the vehicle starts.

It just records and restores the last state of the button when the vehicle starts up. This tricks the car into thinking you disabled it right when the vehicle starts.
OK so if I'm understanding this correctly -- the switch panel in the center console routes through that wiring harness in the steering column. The device has access to that value/bit/signal somehow and simply stores and manages it?

If that's accurate this sounds pretty simple and innocuous. I'm gonna order it. I'd love to say we are ready for a tune but this is a daily and it's been a little problematic so I am not in a position to tempt the warranty gods....

Thanks forum, you're great as always!

Seems you are correct, thanks! Official response from the maker of Autostop Eliminator:

The Autostop Eliminator just toggles the start/stop button to OFF, the same as if you pressed the button. The location the device attaches to the vehicle is irrelevant, that is just a convenient place to access the correct network that the signal travels on. It could connect anywhere on that network and do the same thing. The Autostop Eliminator just remembers your preference (usually OFF for most people) and at startup it will send the signal to toggle the start/stop button, the same signal as if you manually pressed the button with your finger. It's just turning it OFF at the switch, same as you would do manually. After that, it does nothing until the next startup.

I bought one, used the coupon (FBFORD) to make it $85. Took me less than 5 minutes to install. Beware, their product only works on Explorers with 4WD.

OK so if I'm understanding this correctly -- the switch panel in the center console routes through that wiring harness in the steering column. The device has access to that value/bit/signal somehow and simply stores and manages it?

If that's accurate this sounds pretty simple and innocuous. I'm gonna order it. I'd love to say we are ready for a tune but this is a daily and it's been a little problematic so I am not in a position to tempt the warranty gods....

Thanks forum, you're great as always!
Yep that's exactly what it does. On some other Ford models (like the previous gen F150), it was installed in the center dash next to where the physical button is. It's essentially just a relay with a memory. If you press it off while the car is on, that state is stored in the memory. The next time the vehicle starts, that relay mimics a button press. The car doesn't know or care that you didn't hit the button, because all it saw was the same signal it gets from that button. You don't notice it, because it all happens before you even have your seatbelt on. It's quite clever.

DUMB ASS

Disastrous Universal Manufacturer Bunk Auto Stop Start
Or, you could buy a 2022 like I did, the ASS is deleted completely! Expensive solution I admit lol. I have heard that when the parts come in, they’ll call you and install it at a discount, along with the rear A/C controls, which were deleted as well. I’d like to think that you could choose to have only the rear climate controls installed and not the ASS, but trusting a dealership is not high on my list of possibles!

Or, you could buy a 2022 like I did, the ASS is deleted completely! Expensive solution I admit lol. I have heard that when the parts come in, they’ll call you and install it at a discount, along with the rear A/C controls, which were deleted as well. I’d like to think that you could choose to have only the rear climate controls installed and not the ASS, but trusting a dealership is not high on my list of possibles!
Ain't it the truth?

Not entirely true. Only the 4 cylinder explorers get the ASS deleted, the 3.0 models like the ST, platinum and king ranch still get it.

Not any more, unfortunately. I've looked and looked. There's no direct command you can issue. I even tried some of the "back-door" steps (making the car think the steering wheel is not centered, among others). Supposedly it turns off when a trailer is connected. That didn't work either. I absolutely hate A.S.S. I've just tried to get used to pressing the button on start-up.
The A.S.S doesn't bother me, I sumetimes would shut the car down when waiting in lines myself, anyway. However, I noticed when pulling a light trailer (the Ex has the tow package and a brake controller installed) that had only the 4-prong lights and no brakes that the Auto Stop Start stopped working. I suspect it is seeing the trailer lights plugged in, so maybe one of those lights that fits the hitch opening and plugs into the 4-prong light outlet would eliminate the function by itself. Those lights a readily available and cheap.

The A.S.S doesn't bother me, I sumetimes would shut the car down when waiting in lines myself, anyway. However, I noticed when pulling a light trailer (the Ex has the tow package and a brake controller installed) that had only the 4-prong lights and no brakes that the Auto Stop Start stopped working. I suspect it is seeing the trailer lights plugged in, so maybe one of those lights that fits the hitch opening and plugs into the 4-prong light outlet would eliminate the function by itself. Those lights a readily available and cheap.
I tried that - didn't work for me. It still showed its A.S.S. at traffic lights.

I got my new Explorer about 2 months ago. I just installed the Autostop Eliminator. Couldn't have been easier to do. I really love driving my Explorer now. No more forgetting to press that button. I had trouble finding the link so I'm goin to post it here in case anyone else is interested.

2020-2022 Ford Explorer Autostop Eliminator

-Johnny J.

Back