• Register Today It's free!

Aviator for Explorer???

JoetheCarGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T
So I have a 2005 Explorer, read my signature for more info, and my cousin is thinking of selling his 2004 Aviator to me. Do you think I should take him up on it? The car's amazing, except for the ugly chrome wheels and lack of a subwoofer. I would plan to put my Explorer's rims on it because they look much better and have great tires. Hopefully I could install the subwoofer in the Lincoln as well. My Explorer has 63,000 miles, while my cousin's Aviator has 83,000. I'm really thinking about going for this rig, but would love to hear your guy's opinion on this option! Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me personally, I would do it. I like the Aviators more than the explorers. You can just buy aftermarket rims and stereo system and be better off. than trying to swap stuff over.

However, I'm barely 18, and although it's my car, all my money needs to go towards college and not towards my car. So if the Aviator's wired for a sub, I'd love to plug and play my old one, and the rims would be an easy switch as well and would allow me to keep the expensive tires my dad bought me less than a year ago. Thanks a lot for the input!

aviator is simply stunning compared to an xlt 3rd gen....go for it and get some money for your 3rd gen while your at it

And for the average person, the Aviator's AWD system will do just as well as the Explorer's 4WD I'm guessing. I'm sure I'll survive without AdvanceTrac RSC as well. Today I'm swapping my cousin to see if I want it and can drive it around for a couple days.

32 valve DOHC (same as the Cobra)
Dual length intake tracks (long for torque, short for HP at WOT)
302hp (about 34 more than the 4.6 in an X)
300ft/lbs torque
7000lb to rating
Re worked suspension, handles WAY better than the X (we trest drove an '04 Limited and it was hohum)

Many sound deadening features like foam filled pillars, thicker glass and engine cowling.

The seats are a little bigger that an X (not as big as the seats in a 1st gen Limited though)

Thanks! That makes the car sound even better! I've driven it before and it's really got pick-up! Especially compared to my V6. I'd have to live with the white pearl color I guess.

Ours is white pearl too. LOVE it.

It does require premium 92 octane fuel though. You can run 89 but don't run 87.

20k more miles. That's not good. I love the aviator but I'd rather have a 1st gen LTD..:)

The first gens are generally bigger seatwise than a 2nd and 3rd gen. My friend has a 3rd gen and even said I had more interior room than his ex. I have an XLT with leather seats and all electric.

I have seen those aviators on the road. Sweet look. I would say go for it. If you are making it street awesome that is. If you are going off-road or plan too, I would stick with the ex. I would be in tears if I put an Aviator through what I have put my ex through. :D Also as far as 4 wheels movin' the 4 wheel drive is a better option for off-road use while the AWD is more for on road traction. At least that is how it was described to me.

Thanks for all your comments so far everyone! I've been driving the Aviator all day to see what I think, and I love it! It is indeed, much quieter, more powerful, and handles like a luxury sedan. The seats have more prominent bolsters, but other than that, I couldn't care less about the seat size. I weigh 135 lbs., and don't care how big the seats are. The interior is beautiful! The stereo is horrible though, so I would most likely rip out the audiophile system in my Explorer it install it in the Aviator. The underbody had much less rust than my Explorer's has too, which is another plus and a sign it had been garaged before my cousin bought it last year.

Dont forget.. I think the Aviator requires Premium gas ;)

Right, it says 91 octane on the gas cap, so Plus should be adequate. Also, it gets better gas milage than my V6 believe it or not.

Very nice truck, i always wanted one of those, great motor.

The stereo is horrible though, so I would most likely rip out the audiophile system in my Explorer it install it in the Aviator.

Its doable, but i doubt you have the wiring, i had to run my own subwoofer harness to add it to mine. Also if you look to add the sub grab the OEM speakers as the thing was calibrated for them.

I have a thread, "improving the sub on an audiophile'. . .where i think i did what your trying to do, let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246610&highlight=audiophile

I have the entire set of Audiophile speakers considering my Explorer was equipped with them. Is that what you meant?

yes. I added Boston and some Polks and when i did they sounded much louder so much so i couldn't hear the bass.. I started with a Base unit and stock paper cones.

when i do my sport truck build im going to be driving an aviator, its my next purchase...id take it man, aviators rock...

Before you do your buildup, you better run at the strip to see where you stand. I plan on dropping my time a few tenths if everything goes good in the next month or two;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go for it dude, the aviator is stunning.

32 valve DOHC (same as the Cobra)
Dual length intake tracks (long for torque, short for HP at WOT)
302hp (about 34 more than the 4.6 in an X)
300ft/lbs torque
7000lb to rating
Re worked suspension, handles WAY better than the X (we trest drove an '04 Limited and it was hohum)

Many sound deadening features like foam filled pillars, thicker glass and engine cowling.

The seats are a little bigger that an X (not as big as the seats in a 1st gen Limited though)

The DOHC in the aviator is equivalent to the mach 1 and marauder. The DOHC in the cobra runs at a different compression iirc. Still a badass motor

Back