Axle Regearing | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Axle Regearing

So I got the rear axle installed last night. Filling it with oil after work and changing the rear brake lines! Then a short test drive before I begin to take the front apart! :)

(I know that I can't put it in 4-wheel drive when doing this :p:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(I know that I can't put it in 4-wheel drive when doing this :p:)

isn't the t-case still the Automatic 4WD? Or was that optional?
not too familiar with the V6 t-case choices.

yeah its the auto 4WD and 4WD Low.. so it shouldn't be a problem, but on the 95-96 models they used a vaccum disconnect on the front axle so when you put the selector in the 4WD auto position the axel becomes live, Idk if the different ratios would cause a problem at this point or not.. it doesn't matter cause i'm just going to take it around the block and then take the front one out..

yeah its the auto 4WD and 4WD Low.. so it shouldn't be a problem, but on the 95-96 models they used a vaccum disconnect on the front axle so when you put the selector in the 4WD auto position the axel becomes live, Idk if the different ratios would cause a problem at this point or not.. it doesn't matter cause i'm just going to take it around the block and then take the front one out..

then the A4WD will probably kick in, since it will see the diffs rotating at different speeds.

even around the block, you could destroy an the t-case.

Might as well pull the front d-shaft first to be on the safe side.

yeah or i could just leave it in 2WD which is also an option.. the 96 is pre - full time A4WD

But thats a good point about the sensors seeing the diffs rotating a different speeds

yeah or i could just leave it in 2WD which is also an option..

But thats a good point about the sensors seeing the diffs rotating a different speeds

ah, did not realize it has a 2WD option.
must be before the control trac which only has A4WD, 4WD high and 4WD low?

Correct even though mine is still considered a control trac, it was before the 4WD high option.. which can be annoying for off roading, lol ;)

Back