Backup lights keep blowing fuses.

2000 red xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Grass Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi all,

We just brought a 2000 xlt V8 and noticed that the backup lights didn't work. When we changed the fuse, they worked for a bit but then, blew the fuse again. Also, we noticed that the Overdrive button on the stearing column and the rear window defrost didnt work either. The same fuse seems to be running all of them Has anyone had this happen and what caused it. We are worried that we will be spending big $$ to get a dealer to look at it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give us.

R and C

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a short to me

I added auxiliary backup lights to the backup circuit and did it wrong and didnt overload that circuit

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section, and deleted your other thread since it's the same as this one. Check the back up light wiring, trailer wiring, and the range sensor on the transmission.

I actually wrestled with this issue for 2-3 years. The OD switch won't work with a blown backup light fuse ( I think its number 27). On my truck it was the wires that run inside the gear shifter to the OD off button had worn through the insulation, and was grounding out when I used the shifter.

Hey guys, just my luck I don't have my manual on me - but which number is the fuse for the reverse lights? Is it number 27 like you said MBrooks420 or were you referring to the OD? thanks!

The backup lights and the OD switch are on the same circuit. So yes, both are on fuse 27.

I'm having the exact same problem on my 97 Explorer. I have yet to find the issue. I've been pouring over wiring diagrams and checking anything I can think of on the car, still have not found the issue. On mine it controls all of the above listed as well as the auto-locks when the car starts moving. And on mine it's circuit 26, but otherwise is exactly the same issue.
I'll check the O/D switch wires.
How did you get to those wires on that shifter? I'm unfamiliar with the automatic column shift, this is my first automatic Ford, all others are 5spds.
good luck and thanks for anyone who has any ideas.

You have to take the cover off of the steering column. There are some phillips screws on the underside of it. You will also have to unscrew the tilt wheel bar. After the screws are out it is still clipped together a little, but should be able to be pulled apart. There is only one wire that runs into the shifter stock so it's easy to find once the cover is off.

thanks, I'm almost totally convinced that was the problem, and the solution. Tonight I went out and pulled the column apart as you described, located the wire, and sure enough I could see the copper strands exposed right where the wire runs across the cast aluminum shift mechanism. Otherwise appeared to be ok, so I tightly wrapped tape over the abrasion, then slipped wire loom over it and zip tied it to keep it in place and trimmed the end.
Replaced the fuse and so far so good, we'll see. :)
But this looks promising, thanks Mbrooks420.

Glad it seems to be working out. :thumbsup:

IT'S FIXED!

THE PROBLEM
wirefinger.jpg

THE FIX
fixd.jpg

1997 Explorer XLT - same back-up light problem

Thanks for the great pictures!!! I was able to finally fix my '97 Explorer XLT with the same problem. I would replace the fuse and the back-up lights would work for a while...sometimes a week or two and then they would be out. After reading this thread, I was finally able to duplicate the failure by moving the shifter lever a bunch of times with the ignition on. For my '97 Explorer I only had to remove the three screws mentioned in one of the threads above to remove only the top piece of the plastic shell around the steering column. There is a metal plate with a rubber grommet that surrounds the shifter that you need to unlatch and lift up to see the wire.

217,395 miles and counting on original engine and transmission!!

I have a brand new 2010 sport tac and the fuse for the trailer lighs keeps blowing. I have had it to the dealer twice and they just put in fuses in it, but they dont hold.
Also my back passenger door sticks. The dealer put grease on it said it was fixed not>>>

It's a new truck, make them fix it. If I bought a new car and it had trouble I had to take it in more than once, I would be screaming at the top of my lungs until the issues were resolved. As long as my truck wasn't getting fixed, they wouldn't be selling anything. Are there any other Ford dealers around? I'd file a complaint with the local Ford rep, or right on the Ford website.

Thanks!! was having the same issue on my 01 sport. tore it apart and sure enough there was the bald spot.

I want to confirm this as well! 2000 Eddie bauer 5.0 AWD it kept blowing the #27 fuse as soon as i put it into drive from park. Seen this thread took my steering cover off and sure enough this is what i found! Taped it up and now it works perfect.

wornwires.jpg

DAMN "I want to confirm this as well!"

Ditto.... 2001 Mountaineer same issue.

This post is awesome, Thanks everyone for turning a frustrating issue into something manageable.

OK, I'm not going crazy

You guys just saved me from pulling out what's left of my hair. I'd replace the fuse and it would work for a week or 2, them blow again. 3 inches of electric tape solved the problem.
Many thanks...
JLa

OK, I'm not going crazy

You'll see by my prior post in September that it seemed to be the fix.
Well that was 4 months ago and it hasn't popped a fuse since.

Thanks again guys...
JLa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am frustrated myself because i took apart the dash to change the lights that were out and broke the fine wire for the selector. Now for some reason my back up light don't work either. Is the fine wire something to do with this ?

Back