bad tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad tire

dora51032

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
hello, this is my first post!

i bought a used 2012 explorer october last year and a week after i brought it to the dealer for service and the technician noted that all four tires need to be replace ASAP as they have multiple cracks on the side wall. they are the stock Michelin tires. so i replaced them quickly with same brand. lately i discovered small dry rot developing on the side wall of all four tire, and to my surprise the inner side has huge cracks compare to the outer side. the manufactured date of the tires are 1714 so i went to the shop where i purchased the tire but they refuse to change the tire and they dont even care as if its a normal to have someone complaint about this kind of tires so i didnt waste my time and energy to them.
Has anyone using the oem Michelin tire and how are they?
i will never buy Michelin again! they used to have a good reputation back in the days...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just under 70K miles on the OEM 18" Lattitude HPs. Frankly, best set of tires I've had on an SUV. I'll replace them with the same.

This sounds like a troll post. Ignore it.

hello, this is my first post!

i bought a used 2012 explorer october last year and a week after i brought it to the dealer for service and the technician noted that all four tires need to be replace ASAP as they have multiple cracks on the side wall. they are the stock Michelin tires. so i replaced them quickly with same brand. lately i discovered small dry rot developing on the side wall of all four tire, and to my surprise the inner side has huge cracks compare to the outer side. the manufactured date of the tires are 1714 so i went to the shop where i purchased the tire but they refuse to change the tire and they dont even care as if its a normal to have someone complaint about this kind of tires so i didnt waste my time and energy to them.
i will never buy Michelin again! they used to have a good reputation back in the days...
Did you buy these tires from the dealer? I would think that the tires should have a warranty on them. If so, I believe any Michelin tire dealer should be able to help you.

Peter

Did you buy these tires from the dealer? I would think that the tires should have a warranty on them. If so, I believe any Michelin tire dealer should be able to help you.

Peter

no, i bought them outside the dealer, will try to contact Michelin. i have read a lot of negative responses on the internet about Michelin tires particular the dry rot issue. hope will get possible response from Michelin.

no, i bought them outside the dealer, will try to contact Michelin. i have read a lot of negative responses on the internet about Michelin tires particular the dry rot issue. hope will get possible response from Michelin.

There is another thread that addresses sidewall cracks in Michelin tires. Search will find it for you.

I have not had any issues with my original set, or the replacements I put on about 20,000 miles ago. I replaced the originals at about 60,000 miles.

since my tire need replacement due to sidewall cracks i've decided to swap my stock rim and tire with 20" Vossen rim with 265/50/20.

question:

Diameter Variance: 2.90% from stock (245/60/18)
is this variance ok? and is this mean i'm running 2.9% faster against the speedometer. for example on the speedo at 100kph, is my actual speed is 102.9kph?

since my tire need replacement due to sidewall cracks i've decided to swap my stock rim and tire with 20" Vossen rim with 265/50/20.

question:

Diameter Variance: 2.90% from stock (245/60/18)
is this variance ok? and is this mean i'm running 2.9% faster against the speedometer. for example on the speedo at 100kph, is my actual speed is 102.9kph?
The accepted max variance is #.0% so you are within that and yes you are correct on the other numbers.
Also, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it always shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I've had great luck with Michelin tires. I had Michelin LTXMS2 tires on my GMC Yukon and my class B RV and they were great. No problems. My new 15 Explorer came with Michelin tires. Usually the reviews of Michelins are really good. Hope they treat you right and take care of your problem.

Back