Badlands 08 | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Badlands 08

... met up with a few guys right off of 394 and then they took me through some backroads to rte. 41 and we took that to the park.....

I know the backway that they took you down to get to 41. It is alittle faster becasue your skipping all the heavy traffic on 80/94. I know what you mean by a boring and uneventfull ride, its even worse when its 2am and your leaving the dragstrip and cant see the state troops behind the trees.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JMan689:

i remember it taking a while. i left early, met up with a few guys right off of 394 and then they took me through some backroads to rte. 41 and we took that to the park. i remember we were doing the speed limit (jeeps are less aerodynamic than explorers, and a few guys had trailers) and it took quiet some time. i guess 3 hours is an exageration though.

as far as the SAS.... still cant tell you. kind of waiting for school to end, and save up a little more cash. trust me, i'm very frustrated looking at these things(dana 60's) every time i go through the garage. i want them under the truck... so as soon as i can make it happen, i'm going to. i am running out of time though. June isn't very far away.

Ahhh ok cause we planned on leaving at like 5 am to get there when the gates open. But they are an hour ahead arent they? so that means we gotta leave at 4.... Great straight home from school and to bed it will be.

Ahhh ok cause we planned on leaving at like 5 am to get there when the gates open. But they are an hour ahead arent they? so that means we gotta leave at 4.... Great straight home from school and to bed it will be.
SO ive got 2 ? that will def show how much I DONT know. What are sliders that everyone was talkin about bringing with and what does SAS stand for?

JMan...R you for sure leaving Sat morn, you were talking about heading down there fri nite. I think it would be better to drive down fri nite and wake up in attica, compared to waking up at 4 in the morning and driving for almost 3 hrs and then being in the truck the rest of the day. Im up for cruzin down fri nite if any1 else is interested. PLus that would give me a chance to get to know you guys, since ive never met any of you. Chiilin around a camp fire with beers n brats is always a good way to break the ice.

SO ive got 2 ? that will def show how much I DONT know. What are sliders that everyone was talkin about bringing with and what does SAS stand for?

JMan...R you for sure leaving Sat morn, you were talking about heading down there fri nite. I think it would be better to drive down fri nite and wake up in attica, compared to waking up at 4 in the morning and driving for almost 3 hrs and then being in the truck the rest of the day. Im up for cruzin down fri nite if any1 else is interested. PLus that would give me a chance to get to know you guys, since ive never met any of you. Chiilin around a camp fire with beers n brats is always a good way to break the ice.

Well, we plan on camping. Unless i can somehow get INTO the camp ground at like 11pm or later i'll have to leave saturday morning. (I have school from 2pm to 8:15pm) Then i'd have to come home and switch trucks, wouldn't be on the road till around 9-915.

SAS = Solid Axle Swap
sliders are like step bars but they basically are tucked under your rockers to prevent damage from rocks.

And i'm not much of a beer guy, for me its some whiskey, rum or scotch.

...........sliders are like step bars but they basically are tucked under your rockers to prevent damage from rocks.

And i'm not much of a beer guy, for me its some whiskey, rum or scotch.

Where can I pick those up from (sliders). I havnt seen anything about them on the websites that I have been to for parts. If you guys are planning on putting them on, Ill follow suit.

Id be suprised if they close the gates to the camp ground at night. Id rather get there Fri nite, has anyone else been talking about goin down Fri nite?

You need to custom make them for Xploders. I dunno, so far the actual confirmed group is rather small.

Well I was planning on paying cash for all the equip I need to lift the X but I got the rims this week and now really have to bug to get the rest, the rims look so lonely in my garage, so Im busting out the plastic to get the rest of the parts so....I will be going, count me in.

If any1 is thinking about going fri nite, let me know. I just hate waking up early....

JMan....I have to withdraw my statement that I will be going for sure. I just found out last nite that my pool team has our last tournament that weekend before we qualify for the national championship. If it ends up being a short tournament (we get eliminated friday nite) ill still make to Badlands, but obviously I wont know this until that night. When it gets closer to the weekend, I would like a way to get ahold of you, or anyone else that is going, that way Ill be able to find the group if I can make the trip. Im hoping to go, but at the same time I want to make national championship. haha damned if you do damned if you dont.......

JMan....I have to withdraw my statement that I will be going for sure. I just found out last nite that my pool team has our last tournament that weekend before we qualify for the national championship. If it ends up being a short tournament (we get eliminated friday nite) ill still make to Badlands, but obviously I wont know this until that night. When it gets closer to the weekend, I would like a way to get ahold of you, or anyone else that is going, that way Ill be able to find the group if I can make the trip. Im hoping to go, but at the same time I want to make national championship. haha damned if you do damned if you dont.......

Yeah, i'll pm you my cell number. It's gunna be a tight squeeze for me too i need to powerwash my motor and figure out why its over heating lately. I'm hoping its just a the blown head gasket but we'll see.

2 things...

1. You can call the attica campground outside the badlands, and tell them you're getting there super late. I think the past two times I've arrived after 9pm and it was no problem. I think there's someone there till 11ish and I still saw guys rollin in after that.

2. It sucks that with gas and what now, making a trip like this is something that takes serious planning. Heck, when I started wheeling, gas was still under 1.50 a gal. Now at near $4/gal for gas and 4+/gal for diesel, it makes wheelin tough. Too much money just in fuel to wheel... :rolleyes:

2 things...

1. You can call the attica campground outside the badlands, and tell them you're getting there super late. I think the past two times I've arrived after 9pm and it was no problem. I think there's someone there till 11ish and I still saw guys rollin in after that.

2. It sucks that with gas and what now, making a trip like this is something that takes serious planning. Heck, when I started wheeling, gas was still under 1.50 a gal. Now at near $4/gal for gas and 4+/gal for diesel, it makes wheelin tough. Too much money just in fuel to wheel... :rolleyes:

V6 + Street Legal = Not so much. :D

OK guys, lift update....Ive got my Dick Cepeks in the garage, BFGoodrich Mub Terrain KM are on order, should be here in 2 weeks (backorder) and have the PA-70023 and the WAR-153 on order as well. So...even if it turns out I cant make Badlands '08, ill be ready shortly to start meeting locally to kick some mud! Soon as I have everything and its installed Ill snap some pics......

well i wont have the sas done, but I'll have a trailer. so I'll be very willing to try harder things :D
thinking about lincoln locking the rear, but i dont want to hurt the resale value on the axle. i know a 4.10 geared 8.8 rear end is $$$$ to jeepers, but if i make the carrier garbage then its not so valuable. maybe i'll look into a mini spool.

well i wont have the sas done, but I'll have a trailer. so I'll be very willing to try harder things :D
thinking about lincoln locking the rear, but i dont want to hurt the resale value on the axle. i know a 4.10 geared 8.8 rear end is $$$$ to jeepers, but if i make the carrier garbage then its not so valuable. maybe i'll look into a mini spool.

Mini spools are like 40 bucks, i say do that.

I'll probably call out there the weekend before and talk to them about showing up late on Friday.

I'll probably show up late Friday as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back