Banging Noise when using the Heater Controls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Banging Noise when using the Heater Controls

derocheda

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
03 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 Manual Tempature Controls

When I put the Tempature Control Knob all the way to Hot, I get a banging noise coming from the dash. If I ease up on the Tempature Control Knob to the next notch up the banging noise goes away. This happens in any of the vent control settings as well as any Fan speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blend door actuator.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what my guess was by reading some of the other posts

Is it a single bang, or multiple?

Multiple. Like something is opening and closing

Hm not sure then; I know when I click my heat on, I get one loud THUMP from the glovebox area.

>>>>>>>>>>>>When I put the Tempature Control Knob all the way to Hot, I get a banging noise coming from the dash. If I ease up on the Tempature Control Knob to the next notch up the banging noise goes away. This happens in any of the vent control settings as well as any Fan speed.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Derocheda,

your problem is most likely the Blend Door "Actuator"/ motor. I have the same symptoms in my 05 Explorer. There is a topic here at this site called "The 10 second fix for Blend Door Actuator", it shows you how to manually adjust the the blend door hinge and flip the door over to the heat side so you can get heat. I've tried this temp fix and use nearly every day, it works. I've also found that by starting the vehicle with the fan speed on high prior to turning the key over, it keeps the blend door from flipping back to the cold setting, thus hearing that thumping noise from the broken geared actuator and having to do the 10 second fix again. "Big Rondo" also posted instructions on this site on how to repair the blend door actuator yourself. I've called the Ford dealership in my area and it's a $670+ tax job to have them repair the blend door actuator. The Actuator costs approx: $92.00 from a Ford Dealership and the rest is labor charges to remove the center console and dashboard.

$670 :( It took me about 1 hr to do the job and the part was like $30 at the local NAPA.

I still have to do the rear one, I am thinking that one will take a little longer maybe 2hrs.

>>>>>>>>$670 :( It took me about 1 hr to do the job and the part was like $30 at the local NAPA.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tower,

$670 was the estimate from the Ford Dealership for parts and labor on the Actuator job. I'd never pay that kind of money to have an over priced Deealership turn a few dashboard screws for me. I would stuff hand warmers down my shorts to stay warm first. Majority of people I've read about in here that have done this repair say to stay away from the aftermarket Actuators because you don't always get the right or exact part for your vehicle. The Ford Actuator where I live was quoted at $92.00, exact replacement. I would be leary about the quality of a $30 actuator, not that the Ford part is much better since it's currently broken. Parts like these, blend door actuators, air recirculation doors, blend door's themselves should never go bad on a vehicle as far as I'm concerned. In the 34 years that I've been driving and owning cars or trucks, I've never had one have these types things ever go bad till now. Ford should recall these vehicles with these problems and pay for it themselves, not us. BTW, Parts and labor charges at dealerhsips vary from state to state, city to city along with the taxes on those items.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>I still have to do the rear one, I am thinking that one will take a little longer maybe 2hrs.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is there a rear actuator because you have 3rd row seating, rear climate control device? I have 3rd row seating, but don't think I have seperate ac/heat controls back there since I haven't noticed any control knobs, just a vent on the rear side panel.

Rear Actuator

Thanks for all of the advice. I hope to take care of it this weekend I will let everybody know how it went. I got my part from a online Ford Parts Dealer www.fordpartsgiant.com you put in your VIN and it gives you all the parts for your make and model of Ford for $52 + Shipping. I read to many bad things about non oem Actuators so I went with the Ford part. Mine does have a 3rd row seat + Aux Heat and Air. According to the Ford Parts Website there are 2other Acutators that control the Rear Seat and Air. I believe they are located in the Glove Box

Wow, Exproblems I was in no way disparaging you, I was commenting on the dealer price for a simple job. I will say that many times aftermarket parts are far superior to factory ones.

I took the factory one apart and the also the replacement one, both are cheap plastic gears, no doubt if I still have this in anther 8 years or so I will be replacing it again. I would like to see them do a recall for the more expensive harder to fix things like the rear end, transmission, rear springs, shifter lever and so on.

derocheda

The rear ones are on the drivers side behind the second row, under the window and behind the plastic trim. Not easy to get at and Ford was nice and put them between the air box and quarter panel so even after you remove all the trim it is still not easy to do but I will get around to doing it one of these days.

Tower,

>>>>>>>> I was commenting on the dealer price for a simple job.>>>>>>>>

Nuts aren't they?

>>>>>>>>>>I will say that many times aftermarket parts are far superior to factory ones.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've heard the same with certain parts of a vehicle,that after markets are made better, but most the posts I've read in here on these actuators prefer the exact Ford part.

>>>>>>>>>>I took the factory one apart and the also the replacement one, both are cheap plastic gears, no doubt if I still have this in anther 8 years or so I will be replacing it again.>>>>>>>>>

Thats the problem with these cheaply made parts, you don't want to have to do this repair again, nor should anyone have to.

>>>>>I would like to see them do a recall for the more expensive harder to fix things like the rear end, transmission, rear springs, shifter lever and so on.>>>>>>>>>

I'll agree with that but like I said earlier, $670 +tax to fix a lousy blend door actuator is an expensive, harder fix to the average vehicle owner. Not many people/vehicle owners will attempt to pull a dashboard apart. It can be overwhelming and they will be afraid they will damage something else under there pulling it apart. The dealership also gave me the repair price for the blend door box, just in case it was bad, it's not-yet. They wanted $400 for the box and $620 in labor or $1100 with tax. Thats a lot of money for such a simple part that should never go bad in the first place. I can only imagine how much they want to fix the "air recirculation door", which I just found out mine is also bad and blocking the flow of air through the heater box for the defroster. They should recall the whole damn vehicle and start building "quality parts and back them up" for the vehicles they make and sell for top dollar.

03 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 Manual Tempature Controls

When I put the Tempature Control Knob all the way to Hot, I get a banging noise coming from the dash. If I ease up on the Tempature Control Knob to the next notch up the banging noise goes away. This happens in any of the vent control settings as well as any Fan speed.

I would say blend door actuator. Here is the write up: How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Back