Any one know how to make bass blockers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any one know how to make bass blockers?

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm putting a new stereo in my truck tomorrow and no where it this town can I find bass blockers for my speakers. If i want to get them I have to drive over an hour to tucson. Anyway does any one know what exactly they're made up of? I'm assuming they're a simple RC circuit meaning it's a resistor and capacitor acting as a high pass filter. I tried looking around on yahoo but I couldn't find anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean like a crossover? Is that what you mean by bass blocker?

I mean a bass blocker. All a bass blocker is, is a high pass filter to block frequencies below a certain range, IE low bass frequency's so your speakers don't break up, Same sort of idea as a crossover except your not splitting up the frequency ranges and sending them to different speakers.

Ah, yes. I follow you now. Well, I know you can get them on the internet. www.crutchfield.com has some. But, you probably want some for tomorrow. I'm from Phoenix, but I don't know of anything in your area. Sorry

Yeah I know you can get them online but I wanted to get them sooner.. Ah well, I had to drive up to tucson today just to get sub boxes for my truck.. I'll try and figure out somethin. I might just try getting the components i think i need to build them and see what happens.

Try calling Crutchfield, they might be able to help you out. They have some pretty in-the-know guys working for them. Its always worth a shot.

I don't think they're as complicated as a crossover network, I could build one of those but I think it'll be to much of a hassle, I guess I'll have to break down and buy some..

they are just simple capacitors, that link is what you want to look at, values are given to you for 6 and 12db slopes equivalent to frequencies.

here's another site for some reference too.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp#hp

edit, this is an even better reference, as it has an easy to use calculator.. simply input your speakers impedance, desired frequency cut off..

http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

Back