• Register Today It's free!

BBK Throttle Body?

scott11202

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Is it worth the 200+ dollars for a 66mm throttle body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im very satisfied with mine. I would recommend a conical air filter, MAF and upgrade your exhaust to go along with the throttle body.

hey, thanks for the reply. I already have the KKM air intake, Dynomax 2.25 cat back exhaust, and have a maf on back order. How hard are they to install and what kind of differnce did it make?

By the way I love the looks of you explorer. It looks awsome. good job Redrig. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I put all my stuff on at the same time. It made a nice difference, Im very pleased.

I forgot, its very easy to install.

i would just like to support that the 66mm BBK throttle body is a great investment for mild performance.

it will sound cool too

much much more love for the throttle body then a larger MAF for a mostly stock motor.

get a cone filter and the throttle body, you will be in love!

mine makes a whistling noise at half-throttle, makes my truck sound REALLY cool haha.

I recommend the 66mm TB if you are looking for easy bolt-on improvement. It's easy to install but not quite as easy to calibrate correctly.

I noticed a difference when I put mine on, but then by that time I already had it ALL on my truck...so hard to say what made the most difference, probably the chip though if I had to say.

Rhett said:
..... not quite as easy to calibrate correctly.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit? What exactly is there to calibrate?

Rhett said:
It's easy to install but not quite as easy to calibrate correctly.

yeah im kind of confused by that also.

Sometimes, you can simply bolt the new TB on and your idle will be correct.

But most of the time, you will have to calibrate the throttle body to get the idle set correctly. Instructions on how to do this SHOULD come with the throttle body. In short, for our trucks you adjust the throttle set screw (attached to the tb butterfly) until the truck can idle at approx. 500 rpm with the IAC unplugged.

If this is not done, the vehicle can idle too fast or too slow, causing higher fuel consumption, odd acceleration/deceleration, and probably setting off a CEL light for TPS sensor voltage out-of-range. Putting it another simple way, your truck would run poorly, and could even be dangerous if you idle at 1000 rpm, causing you to have to keep the brake mashed down to keep your truck from surging forward at 25 mph.

actually Yes, i do remember the instructions with the BBK throttle describing what you are talking about.

Thanks for all the input. Is there any websites or companies that you prefer to order from?

Ebay has 'em sometimes

Explorer Express has them for like $220...

BBK's website.

i think 200 is the best price your going to find new.

i got my bbk throttle body from summit racing, and i was very happy with the results

Back