• Register Today It's free!

Bed liner instead of carpet

Rooster-Alpha

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I'm thinking about doing this in my X. Front to back no carpet at all just bed liner. Has anyone here used the home stuff? Is any of the do it yourself stuff worth it or is it just better to get a professional Rhino Liner or LineX job done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used herculiner in the bed of our 71 F-100
DSCF1287.jpg

some things you gotta know about this stuff..
1. its messy.
2. you will need more than you think
3. you will need more than you think you thought lol those old pickup beds are huge

no really. its a great product and as long as you get the surface nice and clean and scuff it up with some sand paper or something and coat it nice and thick it will turn out good and save you lots of $ than using line-x or rhino

.. also.. im selling the truck if anyone is interested :p: 460 big block y'all
DSCF1244.jpg

That's the brand I immediately thought of when I dreamed this project up. Probably because it's the most popular though. Any other brands good?

Is there a way to get that textured spray on look without going to a spray on place?

I used the spray on truck bed liner on my bumpers it looks good and has a rough feel. It hasnt been on very long though so I dont how it will look in a year or two.

yeah the stuff we used comes with special rollers that make that rough texture.
you dont use a brush and the more you use the better.
i've also herd of people mixing large grain sand with it making it REALLY rough and non slip.

Herc is good stuff. I've used it a ton. It does help cut sound a little, but no chance it will deaden sound as well as carpet. Before you spend your money on it, try driving around without the carpet and if you can deal with the added noise, go for it.

Thanks for the support fella's. I never thought about the sound issue, good one.

LOL i forgot about sound! wow you would need to put those sound panels under your rig then.. or maybe use the liner and cover with some "disposable" carpet if its going to see water and mud and junk.. OR removable carpet :D

In another thread I posted about using a Vinyl pre formed mat that they make just like carpet. Keeps the sound at heat away, and yet you still can wipe it down. Plus the cost is about the same as Herc or so.

On my last pick-up I had Rhino Lining professionally sprayed in. It was the best thing ever. 8 years ago it cost about $380 and worth every cent. I abused it pretty good and at the end it was as good as the day it went in. Just not as shiny.

By having it professionally done, the bed & tailgate had about 1/4" thickness. Something I'm sure I could not have achieved myself and certainly not evenly throughout the bed.

Now I don't know. This is my daily driver so noise might really be an issue. I wouldn't really want to put any carpet or lining over it. The whole point was so I don't have to worry about messing it up and that I think it would look REALLY cool lol. I think I'm gonna take eXcali's advice and try driving around without the carpet first and see what it's like.

I'd love to get it professionally done but I just don't have the $$ to do it:(

You can use the DIY stuff, it's just going to take a lot of it to build up the thickness. If you get it somewhere between 1/8"-1/4", it'll do a pretty good job of deadening the sound, maybe even better than carpet.

You can save yourself a lot with the spray-in materials if you do all the prep work and they just have to spray it on. Remove EVERYTHING from the interior, sand down the paint (a wire wheel on an angle grinder works awesome), get a roll of masking paper and enough tape so you can cover EVERYTHING in the interior and exterior you don't want spray or overspray on, and some of the special wire-tape for the edge where the liner will end. Use the wire tape to mask off where you want the liner (and cover where you don't want it, like threaded bolt and screw holes) the day before your appointment, then show up REALLY early, use the masking tape and paper to cover everything inside and whatever their tarps or whatever covers they have won't cover on the outside, drive it in, remove the seat, cover anything you needed to drive in it, and let them go to town with the spray. You can probably get yourself a professional job for just over what you'd pay for a DIY brush-on this way.

i have took the carpet out and done mine in bed armor by duplicolor and i love it works great and easy to clean esp. if you plan on doing some mudding in the future

My friend did it in his cherokee, its a hit in the parking lot
It looks decent, I imagined it for mine but I have an 02 and don't think it would look so good
Maybe if I had a first or second gen to have the rugged kind of looking suv instead of the family grocery getter I would do it

another thread brought back to life.... but still not a bad idea. I'd like to do at least the cargo area.

Back