Bed lining | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bed lining

It's a great mod because last summer I got stuck in a river a little over 3 feet deep. I could have gotten out just fine with a little tug (I was high centered on a sand barge). But in only about 90 seconds enough water had crept in through my doors to reach my computer and short it out, stalling my truck. After I had no power the 1 vehicle that was with me was no longer powerfull enough to pull me out. And so my truck sat for arround 3 hrs before I could get enough reinforcements to get me out (3 vehicles, 2 tow ropes, one cable, and a huge farm equipment snatch block). Water never got all the way up to the dash. So, if I had already relocated my computer before I got stuck water would have never reached it, my truck wouldn't have stalled, I would have been out of the river about 3 hrs sooner, and I wouldn't have spent big $ changing every single fluid and filter in the entire truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mental: like people have said, it's cool that there isn't any paint (there isn't any paint left after taking the rust out anyway right?) You still want to scuff it up. And BTW some sort of engine degreaser should clean the debris out just fine. Spray, rinse, dry (preferably with a lint free cloth).

Bed liner so...what do you guys think?

here is some pics of before(pic 1) during(pic2) and after(pic3) the Bed liner the first pic is more of a speaker but it is the only pic with my carpet in it.

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

thanks

Hi John... I looks like you've spent some time getting it done right. The result looks great :thumbsup:

Thanks, I was worried it wouldn’t turn out right. it sucked so bad doing this mod though my hands where bruised and cut from rusted bolts and tight places and to top it all off I got bit by 3 different spiders... but it was worth it. P.S. brake cleaner kill’s spiders really fast
:D

Hey, I was sitting in the driver’s seat yesterday and a little bit of the bed liner peeled up what should I do?

thanks also is it gunna get any harder because right now I can dig my finger nail into it.

Hey, I was sitting in the driver’s seat yesterday and a little bit of the bed liner peeled up what should I do?

As mentioned by Littlex you should be able to sand and recoat.. Did you wash the metal really good with a degreaser to ensure the coating would stick good?

I betting you just got what you paid for in the bedliner you used.

It takes almost a week to fully harden. I would wait a week, then sand arround the chipped area, recoat it, and be gentle on it for the first few weeks.

also i still have some bed linner left over how long will it last?

I learned a little trick this weekend from a TV show. Any liquid which cures or hardens by oxygen in the air, can be made to last longer if you add an inert gas to the container before sealing it. If you have a welder which uses argon gas, see what it takes to leak some off into the container slowly. Argon is an inert gas which is heavier than sir, it will cover the surface of the liquid, slowing the process of curing/hardening.

Also seal the lid by first laying a plastic bag across the opening. That makes it much easier to open next time. Good luck,

bed lined 94 explorer

I was looking at the inside of my explorer and it was kind of dirty and I wanted to just take a hose to the inside of it because it is bed lined and then I noticed there is a gap between the molding and the kick panels up front that leads to where the wires are and I was also worried about the water just sitting there and the rusting out where I dint bed line so what do you guys thing about all of this?

Yep i have had water standing in the areas that you describe. I took a wet vac and sucked it out.

so it wouldnt mess any thing up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so it wouldnt mess any thing up.

I had a leak in my windshield (leaky windshield thread) that caused water to pool under the carpet.. The water was 2" deep in the wiring channel :eek: and was probably like that for weeks... It looked bad, but never caused any problems..

Back