• Register Today It's free!

Bed lining

mental_help

Reaction score
City, State
Hazlehurst,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok so I have been getting ready to bed line my interior I started on the back cargo area there was a little bit of rust there and all I have is some wood sand paper so I sprayed so wd40 thinking it would make sanding the rust easer but I got distracted and came out there to day to continue sand and it ate away all the back interior paint so I was wondering is this bad or good also will this affect any thing and last but not least do I still have to scratch up the surface because every 1 says
Scratch up the surface to make the bed liner stick to the paint well I don’t have paint for it to stick to know so yeah I need help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so it ate all the paint off the rear cargo floor?

yeah

You used a petroleum based lubricant on something you want to paint? And just how is the bedliner going to adhere to that?

Son, you need to stop working on vehicles before you hurt yourself........

wd40 and wood sand paper? umm okay!
So did it sand easier?

How do you plan on removing the WD40 so the bedliner will stick?

We'll take this slowly.

First, get some:

hoseknozzle.jpg

and:

490.jpg

Wash out anywhere you sanded and use:

Optimum-Glass-Towel.jpg

to dry it well. You want all petroleum residue gone. Then, and only then, you can lay bedliner.

And, also use this:

KTI71708.jpg

Somehow, I think you'll know what to do with it.

:D

i don't think any body understands i am gunna wash it out i am not dumb enough to put paint over wd40. p.s i think i might be able to manage your instructions Adam

Just bustin' your acorns, man.

Simply, if you clean it, it'll be fine once sealed with the bedliner. I've laid Herculiner in a trailer, and you're right--a scratched and scuffed surface is best.

For future reference, you can lubricate sand paper with plain water. Keep a small bucket of it nearby to rinse the paper when it gets "clogged" with debris. As above, the surface still need to be washed because there will be debris from sanding.

.....For future reference, you can lubricate sand paper with plain water. Keep a small bucket of it nearby to rinse the paper when it gets "clogged" with debris. As above, the surface still need to be washed because there will be debris from sanding.

That works well for wet/dry paper..but will make a heckuva mess with wood paper...reference post #1....

Just bustin' your acorns, man.

Simply, if you clean it, it'll be fine once sealed with the bedliner. I've laid Herculiner in a trailer, and you're right--a scratched and scuffed surface is best.

For future reference, you can lubricate sand paper with plain water. Keep a small bucket of it nearby to rinse the paper when it gets "clogged" with debris. As above, the surface still need to be washed because there will be debris from sanding.

thanks for the help

Get the right tools for the job. It makes life so much easier and no one is that poor.

Metal 40-80 grit paper (whatever floats you boat)
Paint Thinner

And I wouldnt get all in a tither because the WD40 ate the paint away. Its kinda like your going to cover over it anyways.

brakekleen works too

take pics and what not i think im going to try and do the same thing.

i would also recommend relocating your computer and go find the member LittleX he has a bunch of pics of it when he did it. but the relocating the computer is basically free and is a grate mod.

good idea..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it moves the computer to a higher location.

Back