Best Auxiliary Transmission Coolers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Auxiliary Transmission Coolers

macarose

Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993/4 Ford Explorers
I have a 1993 and a 1994 Explorer 2WD Automatic, and I wanted to make sure the transmissions in them continue to last as long as possible.

Is there any specific auxiliary cooling system you would recommend? I plan on changing out the fluid every 15k and wanted to continue to invest in the longevity of this vehicle.

Thanks!

I installed a cooler like the Rapid-Cool in the Hayden link of Arco777's post in our '92 auto/4WD. It was the largest flat plate style that is about 4 or 5 times the size of the factory cooler in front of the radiator and had "Borg Warner" stamped on it. Also, I added an engine oil filter in the return line, bypassed the radiator cooler and disconnected the original cooler in front of the radiator (retasked as a P/S cooler). The fluid was changed about 25k-30k and although we didn't tow with it, it was our family of 5 main car for a few years. The engine blew a freeze plug at 219k, but the trans was doing fine, not a single problem and had only been opened once to change the screen.

Back