Best place to buy HID kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best place to buy HID kit?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy an HID kit for my '97 Explorer. What's the best place to get one?

I don't need a top-of-the-line, outrageously priced one, but no cheapy that's gonna break in a few months.

What brand/from where did some of you guys buy yours? And are you happy with them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on what your definition of outrageously priced is, but i got mine from futurevisionhid.com great place to deal with. Was a lil expensive to me but it's top of the line stuff

ddmtuning.com has a kit for cheap with lifetime warranty...great place to deal with. i've bought kits from them in the past with no problems.

Ive bought a couple of sets for myself and friends from VVME.com. They are also a ebay seller too but I would rather buy directly from them. Single beam conversion totaled $67?

I'd stay away from the DDM kit. You are paying for that warranty and every time you file a warranty claim there is an issue. (This is what I've read on many other forums and can not confirm this myself) .

I had the vvme kit but got it on eBay and had it in my 92 for over a year with no problems at al. And came with everything I needed

I'd stay away from the DDM kit. You are paying for that warranty and every time you file a warranty claim there is an issue. (This is what I've read on many other forums and can not confirm this myself) .

i've purchased several kits without problems....and i just bought to more for my colorado for 30 bucks a piece

Thanks for the input guys. I like the whole lifetime warranty thing with DDM, but I have to admit, I'm a bit skeptical.

Looks like DDM and the VVME are the front-runners right now. But I'm curious to know if anyone else has had problems with DDM? I guess for such the low price, you get what you pay for either way. That's about the cost of Silverstars anyway.

I'll just give you another vote for VVME. All of my friends and I have them and they're great! I wouldn't consider any other kind, personally.

So what kind did you guys buy from VVME?

Just regular low beams, bi-xenon, 35watt or 55watt, degrees K, etc?

I got the Bi-Xenon dual beam, and will never again. The only difference when you turn your "brights" on is the light pattern changes. In no way shape or form did the beam get higher like it should have

Yeah I haven't heard the best things about the bi-xenon. The only thing I don't like about getting just low beams is that I won't be able to flash a**holes with their brights on.

Nope, but thats why I ordered new housings first, the projector ones, which have the low beam projector, then another seperate bulb for the high beams, WELL worth it, then when I get it, im ordering my HID kit for the projectors :D

http://www.x2industries.com/spyder-9501-ford-explorer-halo-projector-headlights-p-557.html

I got mine on eBay for 219$ shipped, they sent the wrong ones, so he refunded me 30$ back....

(They have an eBay store too, theyre user name is x2industries)

These are VERY well worth every penny, especially for HID setups, so we'll still have the high beam abilities :D

Yeah I've really been wanting to get new headlights (I have the stockers now), but I don't have that kind of cash lol. I'm a broke college kid.

I've got some big plans for the Explorer, but I'm just doing baby steps. A $50 Xenon kit is definitely doable...$200+ headlights, not so much. I'd love to get 'em, but I have more important things to spend that kind of money on right now. lol

Nope, but thats why I ordered new housings first, the projector ones, which have the low beam projector, then another seperate bulb for the high beams, WELL worth it, then when I get it, im ordering my HID kit for the projectors :D

http://www.x2industries.com/spyder-9501-ford-explorer-halo-projector-headlights-p-557.html

I got mine on eBay for 219$ shipped, they sent the wrong ones, so he refunded me 30$ back....

(They have an eBay store too, theyre user name is x2industries)

These are VERY well worth every penny, especially for HID setups, so we'll still have the high beam abilities :D

Will those fit a 01 Mountaineer? or would I have to modify it a lil?

Yeah I've really been wanting to get new headlights (I have the stockers now), but I don't have that kind of cash lol. I'm a broke college kid.

I've got some big plans for the Explorer, but I'm just doing baby steps. A $50 Xenon kit is definitely doable...$200+ headlights, not so much. I'd love to get 'em, but I have more important things to spend that kind of money on right now. lol

Yea, the only way I was able to buy them was because I finally sold my old explorer lol, I have quite a few plans for my 95, but theyre gonna take alot of time, im not gonna blow all my money at once on it haha.

They do have cheaper options on eBay, like diamond cuts, smoked housings, black housings, all clear housings, etc, but you wont have the dual beam setup with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, the only way I was able to buy them was because I finally sold my old explorer lol, I have quite a few plans for my 95, but theyre gonna take alot of time, im not gonna blow all my money at once on it haha.

They do have cheaper options on eBay, like diamond cuts, smoked housings, black housings, all clear housings, etc, but you wont have the dual beam setup with them.

Yeah I know. I've got a birthday coming up next month, so maybe I'll get to get some mods done with the birthday money, as I usually get quite a bit of cash. :thumbsup:

Back