• Register Today It's free!

Best Way to Hook Up Amplifier

redsox26

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Today I just sold my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and got a 2007 Eddie Bauer Explorer. In my 2003 I had Two 1000W Amplifiers hooked up to the stock head unit (one for my aftermarket door speakers and the other for my two 12" subs. I had to leave my aftermarket speakers in the doors because I got rid of the stock one but was able to salvage everything else. I plan on hooking up one amplifier to the 2007 stock head unit for the two subs and selling the other amp. Since my 2007 doesn't come with a subwoofer (no subwoofer outputs) I am trying to get some opinions on how to hook up the amp. In my '03 I had just hooked up an aux converter piece to the rear speaker wires and ran that to my amplifier inputs for the subwoofers. I would like to avoid doing this because then the sub plays more of the higher frequencies and doesn't sound the best it could. Since there is no subwoofer as part of the stock system, is this my only choice? And if not what would you recommend??? Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

theres two things you can do what you had was called a line drive converter and thats what you had or replace your head unit with a aftermarket with rear subs out and make sure you dont run all your wires together try and keep your rca's from any power wrires espeically the power for the amp most people run them under the door sills which is the plastic thats screwed down by the doors and run it all together if you do you will get ground loops or rf interfernce in your system and will sound like garbage

thanks for the info. little short on money right now so im probably gonna stick with the line drive converter but i'll be sure to keep the wires away from the power cord. Now i know where that interference was coming from on my $500 dollar install job on my 03!!!!.....

it cost you 500 to get it installed thats outrageous

Back