Best Wing next to Saleen? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Wing next to Saleen?

Tomooy98016 you got mail....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tommy98016**

Originally posted by 99-5.0explorer
Tommy98016**

Just a little Helpful tip, there is an edit Button Right undernieth your post, it says Edit/Delete, click that and you can go back and edit:D

Not being mena just trying to hel ya out since i seen you are new to this forum, and i know some other forums do not allow you to edit your post, which is kinda dumb:rolleyes:

PEACE

thanks dude ill do that next time..latter

Originally posted by mhn3773
if ur putting a wing on ur car u are on crack..u are putting a spoiler..spoiler does not provide lift a wing does..
I believe he is putting one just for looks and nothing else. Btw, spoiler provides down force not a lift.

Did this ever happen? I have a 98 and there is absolutely nothing available but the factory style spoiler/wing. I have looked for a Lund Wyndjammer, but nothing is available for the 98's. Any suggestions?

Hi all:

I am also interested in modifying a Sedona wing since EE isn't doing them any more. I saw a Sedona in a parking lot the other day. I pulled up and took a look at it. It certainly "looks" like it would fit, but I didn't have any way to measure it to be sure. I actually stopped by the local Kia dealership yesterday with tape measure in hand, but none of the dozen or so Sedona's they had had a spoiler on it. I'm keeping my tape in the truck in case another random opportunity to measure comes along.

Regards,
John.

I've got the wing and have cut it down to width space. I still have to fiberglass the center back together - then work on the edges to get the contour correct. It isn't off by too much, but I do have to trim it some. The Sedona wing is the closest I have seen to fitting yet. There is another off a Lexus that past me at an intersection the other day that looked promising, but I didn't get a very good look at it to be specific.

My X is down at the moment, and I've had a lot of projects around my house to catch up on, so the X has taken a back seat to the other things right now. I am hoping to get the wing done within the next month. I'll let you know what the finished product looks like.

I don't think I have seen a wing on a Sedona, so I am not familiar with what it looks like. Anyone have a picture of it?

Wings West

I know that Wings West has a model specific rear spoiler for the 2002+ Explorers. Those are pretty sweet. They also have some universal applications that may work for the Gen 2 Explorers. I don't know how good they are though.

http://www.wingswest.com/product_images/989/1277_l.jpg

So have anybody finished or started their modified wing project?

Well I've been doing alot of reading on using fiberglass resin and such so I'm going to go ahead and try to make my wing from scratch, I was wondering if I did a model in clay and then used many layers or fiberglass resin would it hold?

Hi Makahveli:

Do you mean covering the clay with layers of fiberglass? I would think that would be heavy. From what I have seen, a model is usually used as a form for a female mold. The mold is made from fiberglass or cast from resin. Then, the mold is used to make the finished part. Another technique is to carve the part from rigid foam, and then cover that with fiberglass (like how a surfboard is made). Keep us posted on your progress.

I keep hoping someone will tool up to make a replacement for the Saleen, but no one seems willing or able.

Regards,
John.

rigid foam? I only seen that in sheet like layers, so who sells that and are they sold in block/solid pieces?

How does this look so far?
220735_23_full.jpg

I've got mine finished, but I forgot to take pics of it before the X left to go back to Atlanta. :rolleyes: After they finish with the engine - its going to paint.

Makahveli said:
How does this look so far?
220735_22.jpg
Can't really tell. The picture is too big and its really clear. Can you get a smaller, more blurry picture for us? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry i'm not good at that yet, haven't deal with pictures in a long time

Back