Better? 1995 Explorer or 1999 Exp Xlt? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better? 1995 Explorer or 1999 Exp Xlt?

Congrats that is an excellent looking XLT! I love the color combo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OP, the overhead compass/temp display not working is a common problem and easily fixed with a soldering iron. There is a sticky on this procedure in the Useful Threads section. There are 2 small resistors that get hot and over time break their solder joints. Re-solder them and the display should work again.

Overhead console display fix

As far as the door lock issue, you may need to replace the lock actuator, which is pretty easy to do on a front door.

I was going to suggest also looking for 4.0 OHV + 5-speed manual Explorers (which seems to be 2nd place for reliability, compared to the V8) but looks like the hunt is over :cool: Congrats on the purchase.

I've dealt with Ford's small blocks since they were 260's and I've never heard anyone refer to a 5.0L/302 as a 4.9L (though that may be mathematically accurate). Seems like a weird way to advertise a 5.0L V8, which is the common nomenclature. 302 ci = 4.94889 L, but 4.94889 would look strange on the front fender of a V8 Mustang.

I've seen many references to the 302 being a 4.9, since the 80's when descriptions began listing liters. It's the stupid book writers doing it, people creating data, specs, descriptions etc, who don't know anything about cars, or engines in this example. Just ignore those stupid references, it's a 302, with a 4.00" bore and 3.00" stroke.

FYI, all 351's Ford ever made have the identical bore and stroke, 4.00" x 3.50", and they are all 352's, not 351. That was Ford mislabeling the engines by name to not confuse "people", I think the only people confused would be the novices like book writers who can't handle details(yet that is their job).

Same principal BTW, the 331 stroker everyone knows of here, none of them are 331CI. They are all 332 cubic inches, 4.03" bore and 3.25" stroke, is not 331. I like details generally, but truth and accuracy too.;)

Thanks for the soldering tip! Sounds easy enough.

5.0 does have a better ring to it:)

I saw a work around on youtube about the doorlock. A guy noticed a broken spring laying around in the door panel and bought a cheap aftermarket one and inserted it when the old one was supposed to be. Even though it was a different size, it still worked. Will add the video here if I can find it.

Thanks for the soldering tip! Sounds easy enough.

5.0 does have a better ring to it:)

I saw a work around on youtube about the doorlock. A guy noticed a broken spring laying around in the door panel and bought a cheap aftermarket one and inserted it when the old one was supposed to be. Even though it was a different size, it still worked. Will add the video here if I can find it.

I believe we already have a photos for adding the spring. Sometimes it helps. Try searching "floppy door handle" or look in the "Useful Threads" section for various repairs and cheats.

I believe we already have a photos for adding the spring. Sometimes it helps. Try searching "floppy door handle" or look in the "Useful Threads" section for various repairs and cheats.

Ahhh ok, sounds great. I suppose I'll be that section quite a bit. Thanks!

Back