1995 explorer overhead console repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 explorer overhead console repair

explorer95357

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer
hello and thank you to all viewers and repliers. let me start by saying that i just bought my first ford explorer and happy with it.its a 95 and my first project is to fix the overhead console display. ive read post here and viewed pics of some displays but the one in my explorer is encased in a black plastic housing. there are no " 510" resistors at all.
when i turn the key to the accessory postion sometimes the display lights up for about 5-10 secs then turns off as soon as i start the truck. just goes blank whether i hit the mode button or not, i have no sunroof. i have 3 buttons. LAMP-MODE_LAMP. lamps work except for 1. bought it that way. searched repairs for this but only saw repairs for pcb boards that had the 510 resistors . my panel board doesnt have 510s . if anyone can guide me in right direction i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug: I moved your thread to our Stock 1995-2001 subforum where it should get the right people to look at it.

final update. i got tired of trying to find something wrong with the circuit board , so i went to my local junk yard and was eerily surprised to see so many explorers in there with overhead consoles. i was even able to find a few with my interior color to match. my only dilemma was to pick one out that would work on my first try. lucky for me the first one i tried worked . i paid 2 bucks to get in and was able to score the unit for 6 bucks with a coupon!!!!!

good to hear - next trip grab the autolamp mirror and the harness...

If you post some good close up pictures I can probably help figure out where the fault lies, might be handy to have a working backup for when the used one you found eventually fails too.

If you post some good close up pictures I can probably help figure out where the fault lies, might be handy to have a working backup for when the used one you found eventually fails too.

I actually wound up throwing it as far as I could as soon as the other one worked. Next time it goes out ill definitely know where to find more. My nearest junkyard.

Often the fault is just a broken solder joint on a resistor. With a soldering iron in hand it can be quicker to just touch up the joints, and one trick I sometimes use on other products is to put some thermally conductive epoxy over the area so it is more durable and dissipates heat away from the problem area better. Sometimes it's even semi-necessary to use the epoxy or equivalent because a trace gets pulled up and you need a way to fix it in place or secure a replacement jumper wire.

Back