BF Goodrich All Terrain tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BF Goodrich All Terrain tires

Alright heres how it goes, parents want new tires on the Explorer, i told them they should get it some BF Goodrich All Terrain tires, and of course they arent sold on the idea. I would like to get a nice list of people who have comments on the tire type, so i can show them what others think, and since alot of you guys use them i thought id ask here.

So if ya could leave some input on the tires, i would really appreciate it:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had mine for about 6 months now and have absolutely no complaints. I had Dunlop Mud Terrains before, and these do well in offroad situations with substantially better road manners. I hardly hear any road noise at all (compared to mudders). They are a good mix between an aggressive offroad tire and a street tire. I hear they are supposed to last about 50k miles, but I'm sure others will tell you that from experience. I like em.:thumbsup:

With the BFG AT/KO, you should expect around 50K to as much as 60K if you don't take these tires off road and chip the tread all up. My wife's Jeep runs these tires and she told me her tires will rot before she makes a dent in the tread wear. Hers are 2 years old now, never been off road, and with approx. 20K mi. look brand spankin' new. My set of BFG ATs got me by at approx. 40K mi. and they were chipped and badly beaten on my Ford Ranger I used to have. It all depends on the types of trails mom and dad plan to conquer - tell them they offer great wet weather traction, are quiet, ride well, and will probably outlast the Ford!

-Ken

someone from california saying they have wet weather traction!! ha! :)

i liked mine ok when i had them. they do last a long time and were decent offroad and decent onroad. you can tell them they are quiet and all that stuff, but they are not as quiet as a true street tire and won't handle as good on the road. i'm not saying they are bad, just don't expect a street tire on the road with them. and don't expect a offroad beast with them either. they are called all terrain for a reason. considering the aggressive tread (for an all terrain) they perform good enough on the road that i never complained about them, other than the price. they are the best looking road tire you can get IMO.

My brother-in-law is on his third set of BFGs on his '94 4Runner. He has put 60K+ miles on each set and drives on- and off-road. He likes them so much, he took the Bridgestones off my sister's brand new 4Runner and put a set of the BFGs on instead. Based on this recommendation, I ordered a set for my Ex (32s, no less). I think you're making a good decision going with the BFGs.

Dave.

My brother's 91 (was my mom's - now she has a 99) got a set when Ford first started the Firestone recall. They were very impressed with the improvement of wet and snow traction during northern Ohio winters. Yes, they are a little noisier but nothing they can't live with. Now, a couple of years later, the BFGs still look and perform well. This has all been on road driving.

I'm assuming your parents don't off road at all and aren't real concerned about looks. In that case, A/T KO's sound a little bit overboard. Some Long Trails would probably suit them just fine.

Thanks for the input, just for the record the truck is used on and off road, and with canadian winters and living out in the country, i believe the A/T KO's suit well, along with the spring drain off mudding up every field.

thanks again.

I had a set of ko's on my '01 X for 50k and loved 'em! They had good traction in most conditions, wore VERY well, and only had mild whine. At about 45k, I noticed a drop off in wet traction, but they still worked well.

Just FYI, I just replaced them with a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo's since we don't wheel the truck anymore. Reason being is that the Revo's have a better wet/snow/dry pavement rating and are quieter than the ko's. However, if you offroad, the ko's will blow the Revo's away.

I like them. However when they wear out, I won't be getting them. They produce to much noise for my taste. That and the fact the new truck will not be touching mud and this set won't be used in the winter. So all I will need is a good Wet/Dry tire. If you have a use for them, I say go for it. If they're not planning on taking the truck off-road often, its a waste. Get a good All-Season tire. No need in paying for something you don't need.

I have had them for about 6 months. They have very good handling (I am a very aggresive driver) and have nice traction in the wet weather. I have not been able to see what they are like in the snow, but they did good in puddle jumping in the mudholes around me.

I personally like the All Terrains. I bought them a few months ago for my Explorer and have had no problems with them. They're good in the wet weather. I don't find them to be noisy much at all. Haven't been offroad with them but something tells me your parents won't be doing much of that either. In all honesty, like the guy a few posts above said, the Long Trails would probably suit them better but I'd rather pay the little bit of extra money for the more aggressive look and better snow performance. The Long Trails also come with a warranty (I forget how many miles) whereas the All Terrains do not due to the fact that people like to go offroading in them.

i've been lookin into those tires as well...i need a good tire for everyday dry use...and for those ugly ass winter wit snow n ice... would these be ur choice"?

i would get them for sure if i had the money..

I love mine. 31" 10.5x15. With just limited slip 3.73 rear end, the thing tracks like a tank in the snow and can hold its own in the mud. I think I'm moving up to MTs next, but it's a hard decision since the ATs perform SO much better on ice than the MTs.

I've been telling the guys at work they need the AT's even if it is just snow tire for part of the year.

I've had mine for about 4 years now. No complaints. They handle the road and the snow perfectly. I've noticed they are very susceptible to changes in temperature causing minor deflation, but that mught also be my rims.
I purchased the road hazard, so NTB replaces everything every time with no questions. Couldn't be happier.
Karl

Back