Big Tire New Guy Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big Tire New Guy Questions

Well, I decided that i'm really more of a big tires kinda guy than a big rims kinda guy. So I'm kinda looking at some big tires, but I don't want to lift my truck(its tipsy enough as it is). I checked the Chart and it says that 31x10.50x15 are the biggest that will fit my truck without a lift. SO i'm thinking about getting some Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts in 31x10.50R15 LT size. Will those fit on my stock wheels? And will I have to do any body modifications? I don't want to do any of that.

If those tires are too big and might rub, would 30x9.50R15 LT tires fit the wheel and everything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31s will be fine on your truck... rubbing is always a possibility with anything larger than stock, but tons of stock vehicles rub with stock tires.....

dont the sports have slightly larger wheel wells than the 4doors? maybe its an illusion

Not in the front, and the Gen I's were the same wheel well I believe.

When clearing tires though, usually the rear is not the concern area, I clear 35" tires on my BII with only 4" of suspension lift.
35's up front required 6" of lift and fiberglass fenders, otherwise, no way jose.

As far as tipsy goes, if you get new tires and wheels, go with thw 31x10.50R15 on 15x8 rims with 3.75" of backspacing. This will actually make the truck seem a lot more steady by giving your truck a wider stance on fatter tires. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I'd go with the 31's. Worse comes to worse you have to raise the front up a little by a Torsion Bar Adjustment (TT = Torsion Twist).

-Drew

i doubt you will have to make any adjustments. Get the meats!

Are the stock rims 15x8? I wasn't really planning on getting new rims, to save on money.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a tire that would have a good mix of on-road and offroad performance? I do way more driving on road than offroad, and so its performance while on the highway at 80 mph is a big issue for me. The offroading performance is just a secondary thing. Also I like outlined white letters on my sidewalls. I don't know why, I just do. And a nice looking tread pattern is also important.

Stock should be 15x7, not 15x8. You can stay with stock rims and narrower tire, but like TheFox said you will feel better with a bit less backspacing and a wider tire if you can afford it.

As far as tires go, I find the Duelers a good "crossover" tire for 60/40 street/trail use. They are (IMO) NOT very good for sand or mud, but damn good for everything else.

I'm confused now. in the 31X10.5SR15 sizing, the 31 means the tire is 31" in diameter, the 10.5 I had thought was the width. If I'm looking at using 15x7 or 15x8 wheels, why i am looking at 10.5 tires?

Also, I'd say I'm looking at more 75%/25% on/offroad or 80/20 on off. If that helps at all.

what? im confused now.... 31x10.5 is what you want trust me... no wider, no skinnier.

OK. Good enough for me.

Would there be any places best to get them from? I suppose going to a Bridgestone store wouldn't be a bad idea. I had thought about getting them off tirerack though.

buy them locally...a tire like that is easily found, try costco or sams club...

I'd love to get them at Costco, but they only install "stockish" tire sizes. If I stuck with 235s they'd install them no problem, but with 31s I don't think they'd do it. I suppose I could try asking them really nicely.

Tire sizes- 31's

I just installed Cooper Discoverer LT 31x10.50x15s on my XLS with no lift. Fit great / nice truck look. Bring it on Jeep!!
No suspension or well rubbing. Only very very minor trimming of inside botton edge of front
bumper assy where it curves back to form bottom inside of fender opening.
XLS has lighter / softer, plastic / fantastic front bumper.
Just shaved it back about 1/2 inch. Not even noticable.
Get your tires at a local Cooper dealer. Had to order mine from local warehouse. 1-2 day wait. I'm finding 45 lbs to be good for city / highway ( less squirm / whine. ) and about 38-40 lbs off road.
The depth and design of the tread really holds and grips. And they just look so damn awesome !!
I've heard they wear extremley well too.
Though I now understand why some say a lower (taller) gear is recommended.
Pickup from a dead is a tad slower going through the gears. Taller. larger rotating mass.
But plenty of torque with 4.0 SOHC V6. Torque is what you need off road.
Great look IMHO!! :exp:

Tell the dealer that you know the Cooper Discoverer LT's are discontinued and you want a discount. I know a lot of guys buying their discontinued tires at the dealer for less than regular price.

Tire Rack will not sell them to you either. If you were to buy from them you will have to lie & tell them there are for a Jeep :eek:

Back