Discount Tire Said No! Why? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Discount Tire Said No! Why?

I called discount tire about a 31x10.50x15 BFG Mud Terrain T/A Tire Set up. They said it would work out, and to come down. I got there then they said that the 31x10.50x15 Tire would be to big?
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer LIMITED 4x4. From what I understand from the site, the 31" tire will fit. Is there a reason why they would have turned down a $750 sale? I was getting wheels (15x8) and tires minus one tire that I already owned in that size/style.
Is it the aggressive tire that I chose keeping them from mounting it up? I have 275/45/20 Tires now and they fit well with no rubbing. You would think 20"s are larger in height etc..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheel offset is the biggest factor in this thread example. The best offset should be in the 20-30mm range, pushing the tire outward or inward.

The current 20's may have been the issue also, they don't want to touch anything on the 2nd gen. Explorer over 16". Go elsewhere with the stock wheels back on. Take your time finding the right wheel/offset. Good luck,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it only the second gen explorers that people don't want to mount tires for?

I'm probably soon going to get some Yoko Geolander AT-S 265-70-17s put on my '03 XLT. I can buy them online for ~490 compared to 610 at Budget Tire, but I don't know what they do about mounting them on Explorers...

So you all think they would fit. I mean the BFG Mud Terrain is very beefy. Anyone have that set on their stock explorer?

My friend put some 30x9.50 BFG Muds on a 1997 stocker X. We wheeled the piss out of it! It was fun. They didn't rub much. He had different rims, but not much more backspacing. You just ran into a jerk at discount. Talk to a manager if he refuses to sell them to you, get them in trouble. They can do it, I think the guy was wanting to be a jerk. You could drive to springs and I will introduce you to my wheeling buddy who is a manger at the store down here.;) He would slap anything on it you want. He put 37s on mine:D

I've run into a couple discount tires in town that didn't want to touch our X. At the time we were running 32" tires..

When they refused to sell them to me I got the manager, and asked him the same question.. Is he rufusing to sell me x... Both times they said yes, and that it was discounts policy. At that point I called discounts corp. headquarters.

the 1st time I asked them what the policy was, and by the time I got my answer (I called them from work) I wasn't at that store. Another discount put them on w/out issue.

the 2nd time I called from the parking lot of the discount and a VP from discount called the store directly and told them that this was not the policy. They installed the tires right after the call (but I watched them do it, just in case they wanted to do something not nice)..

Since then, I only deal with a specific discount tire, but the last few tires I got I got from a used tire place (95% tires for $100). If I can keep finding 95% tires for that cheap I won't be using discount or any other tire place for the explorer.

~Mark

is it only the second gen explorers that people don't want to mount tires for?

I'm probably soon going to get some Yoko Geolander AT-S 265-70-17s put on my '03 XLT. I can buy them online for ~490 compared to 610 at Budget Tire, but I don't know what they do about mounting them on Explorers...

Well I just said screw it and ordered them from Budget Tire today, they'll have them in on Monday and I'll get them put on. The guy didn't seem to have any problem getting bigger tires...in fact he agreed with me to get them...oh well I'm excited!

yea that would def fit and i was a little shocked when i mounted my tires today i put on a set of 325 -60 bfg mts on 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing and they fit right up the only problem was the mud flaps in the fronth the heads of the screws were rubbing so i removed them and just screwed it in to the inner fender well and now i have all of my turning no problem the 325-60 is basicly a 30.5 x 12.5 almost 13 inches wide looks great

Back