Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Big White - Ford Racing Powerdyne Installation Thread

I figured that operator saw something or felt it, and thus would let off early. You may not want to R&R the heads just to freshen them to get new springs on it, depending on how long it might be before an engine upgrade. You have read of the lack of parts for many engine things right? It might be a year to get an engine, depending on what source you choose etc. Dart blocks are almost that far behind, and lots of other parts are many months to wait for, pistons, cranks etc. I'm not quite ready to see my needing one a year away, but I'm close.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like many Dyno's, it starts reading at 2,500RPM. That works great for a revving dragster with high stall converter, but not so good for a truck.

It's good to see that curve go strait up at 2,500 but I wonder if they could start reading at lower RPM for you?

I am curious about the jump in the power curves starting at 3,400rpm and wouldn't worry about the top end hiccup.........................................sure looks like he let off the gas.

There's some tuning to be done, but multiplying by 22% for power train loss that is already like 335 horses and 396ftlbs of torque at the flywheel!!!!! Congrats on the build!

Like many Dyno's, it starts reading at 2,500RPM. That works great for a revving dragster with high stall converter, but not so good for a truck.

It's good to see that curve go strait up at 2,500 but I wonder if they could start reading at lower RPM for you?

I am curious about the jump in the power curves starting at 3,400rpm and wouldn't worry about the top end hiccup.........................................sure looks like he let off the gas.

There's some tuning to be done, but multiplying by 22% for power train loss that is already like 335 horses and 396ftlbs of torque at the flywheel!!!!! Congrats on the build!
So some things I thought about

• It looked like they let off about 4800 (think he said that he did) RPM.
    • I am running a 6.5" crank pulley and a 2.8" supercharger pulley
      • Using the formula at CAPA Performance it appears that my blower was only turning 33985.71 rpm which is far below the 38,500 to 42000 rpm that the Powerdyne is advertised to handle.
        • Thinking if they let it rev out more -the HP would have been higher. Also thinking I can go down to a 2.7" pulley for an even better result since I am now water to air intercooled. With a 2.7 - the RPM's would be 35244.44 at 4800 RPM and 38181.48 rpm at 5200.
          • Before I was seeing just over 6lbs of boost at around 5400 RPM - the blower was spinning at 38233.93 (using my current 2.8" pulley)
  • So what is the thought on the cats? Going with replacements for the fronts with high flow or something different. I believe the rears are currently empty.
  • So figuring now with a 22% driveline loss it appears that at 4800 RPM (supercharger spinning at 33985 and maybe 4lbs of boost or so) I was getting 353HP and 415ftlbs of torque at the crank.....
Thanks for any additional input or advice.

I would work on the cat pipes next. If the valvetrain isn't upgraded, then the tired springs and the truck cam aren't going to like much more than the stock rpm levels. The blower will support and push the rpm's above stock usefully, only if the valve springs are strong enough and don't float(weak old springs will do that at high rpm). The cat pipes can allow more airflow, more power, without costing any extra engine work(just the tuning).

They can test for back pressure levels with a gauge attached to the cat pipes ahead of them. That's how cats are tested generally for stock form, yours will be a little higher due to the boost.

Awesome, that is a huge power increase!

Yep, more boost, colder IAC, more timing, all very good steps.

Move the catch can vent to inside the air box to stop any crankcase smells from getting in the cabin. Seems to have solved the problem. 2.7 pulley is on order.

Meanwhile…. these two….

FDD2EF17-AFC2-4713-A94B-DF23E794AD24.jpeg

Here is a 0-60 mph pull. Shift point I feel is a bit low so I’d like to up it a couple hundred rpm and switch to the 2.7” pulley from 2.8” which I think might put me in the 5 sec range due to more boost

Sounds awesome even from drivers seat through a YouTube video! She pulls nicely for a 4500 lb pig!!

thats one nice sounding rig!!!!!

Latest Dyno results with my Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne supercharger

So finally was able to do some tuning with SCT instead of what they were using before.

The second picture shows the run that was done before the X pipe and removal of old stuff between the headers and Borla mufflers. I was told during this Dyno run they were able to lock up the converter in the tune for a better consistent pull.

So this run at the wheels showed 293.09 HP and 355.49 ft lb of torque. Since I cannot seem to find a completely accurate drive train loss percentage for a 5.0 L Explorer with the 4R70W transmission and Borg Warner all wheel drive transfer case I’ll use 25% and 30% as these are the two that seem to be stated the most. 25% would be approx at the motor 391 HP and 474 ft lb torque. Using 30% - at the motor approx 419 HP and 508 ft lb torque.

The 1st Dyno sheet shows after the X-pipe was completed along with the other things. I was told that apparently during this Dyno run they were not able to lock up the converter so they had to ease into the pull to keep it from downshifting into 2nd. There also seems to be a loss of torque but I was told that this is not necessarily 100% accurate but I’m not sure I understand why. Even with that the torque is still higher than it was before these two Dyno runs. So this run at the wheels showed 303.07 HP and 336.51 ft lb of torque. Again, since I cannot seem to find a completely accurate drive train loss percentage for a 5.0 L Explorer with the 4R70W transmission and Borg Warner all wheel drive transfer case I’ll use 25% and 30% as these are the two that seem to be stated the most. 25% would be approx at the motor 404 HP and 448 ft lb torque. Using 30% - at the motor approx 433 HP and 480 ft lb torque.

I’m still trying to understand the technical aspect of these results as well as the explanations I have been initially given. What I can say that is driving Big White is quite amazing and a blast. It’s incredible to see what a difference all of these improvements have made to my Explorer.

72B6BBB1-5860-40A6-9A3B-EAB9964A3266.jpeg 87119CA4-6CA0-4A5E-8B81-3CD07C63A445.jpeg D3588B52-AA57-42E3-AD88-6FC6C65864FD.jpeg 5AB61CD1-070E-4E99-BFD3-9440B8D11C71.jpeg

433/480 lets go with that!
makes a stock 5.0 look silly

You can make anything go fast it does not matter what it is in my opinion

I can think of a couple of 4.0 l engines that are fast too lol
Boy it would be a fun race.
Wish I had a dyno

My sons 3.0 is about to be way faster lol

Latest Dyno results with my Ford Motorsport SVO Powerdyne supercharger

So finally was able to do some tuning with SCT instead of what they were using before.

The second picture shows the run that was done before the X pipe and removal of old stuff between the headers and Borla mufflers. I was told during this Dyno run they were able to lock up the converter in the tune for a better consistent pull.

So this run at the wheels showed 293.09 HP and 355.49 ft lb of torque. Since I cannot seem to find a completely accurate drive train loss percentage for a 5.0 L Explorer with the 4R70W transmission and Borg Warner all wheel drive transfer case I’ll use 25% and 30% as these are the two that seem to be stated the most. 25% would be approx at the motor 391 HP and 474 ft lb torque. Using 30% - at the motor approx 419 HP and 508 ft lb torque.

The 1st Dyno sheet shows after the X-pipe was completed along with the other things. I was told that apparently during this Dyno run they were not able to lock up the converter so they had to ease into the pull to keep it from downshifting into 2nd. There also seems to be a loss of torque but I was told that this is not necessarily 100% accurate but I’m not sure I understand why. Even with that the torque is still higher than it was before these two Dyno runs. So this run at the wheels showed 303.07 HP and 336.51 ft lb of torque. Again, since I cannot seem to find a completely accurate drive train loss percentage for a 5.0 L Explorer with the 4R70W transmission and Borg Warner all wheel drive transfer case I’ll use 25% and 30% as these are the two that seem to be stated the most. 25% would be approx at the motor 404 HP and 448 ft lb torque. Using 30% - at the motor approx 433 HP and 480 ft lb torque.

I’m still trying to understand the technical aspect of these results as well as the explanations I have been initially given. What I can say that is driving Big White is quite amazing and a blast. It’s incredible to see what a difference all of these improvements have made to my Explorer.

View attachment 430826 View attachment 430827 View attachment 430828 View attachment 430829
Keep up the good work looks great !

If I could make a suggestion I would say to tie up the ECM wire harness it's just hanging by the ECM
411751-26ee67718e2891a0c8f0c0a52e53e8d9_kindlephoto-232050317.jpg

Keep up the good work looks great !

If I could make a suggestion I would say to tie up the ECM wire harness it's just hanging by the ECM
View attachment 430833
Thanks. The picture was taken before I fixed it. Here’s more current.

99ED4FD6-8DDF-4A23-98F6-74A0EFB1FC32.jpeg

You can make anything go fast it does not matter what it is in my opinion

I can think of a couple of 4.0 l engines that are fast too lol
Boy it would be a fun race.
Wish I had a dyno

My sons 3.0 is about to be way faster lol
guess i meant my 4.0 😂 it aint super fast bt any means and 31s dont help

Ah, that is great, and that's a lot of power by any measuring.

Now it just needs more boost. But don't go too fast, keep the block and pistons in mind, we don't know what their limits are, they change for every combination.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back