bizarre break issue

indyglideman

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
1994 Ford Explorer:
I just replaced all components in rear breaks from the "T" on top of the differential out to each wheel since the original lines had rusted through! I have installed a new line to each side, new wheel cylinders, new shoes, new drums, new springs, clips and holders.

Now a new and bizarre issue has surfaced. With the star wheel adjusted all the way in, I had a tough time even getting the left side drum on. I assumed it would "work it's self in" after a few miles. Well that thought was wrong. I can back up without resistance but when I try to go forward it drags so badly the truck will stop on its own at low speeds and my mileage is in the dumps!

I have checked to be sure the parking break cable is not at fault and does seem to move freely and return to a normal resting position.

I have been working on my own cars for 25 years and never had this type of issue. Where should I start to get this problem resolved?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the shoes installed correctly? I believe the back shoe is a different length than the front in the rear set. Anyone verify this?

Walter

The drum should have no/little resistance when installed. Any resistance would indicate a problem which would only get worse not better... The picture below shows the completed installation.

18205Drum_brake_WEB.jpg

as far as I know, they can only go on one way.

Jeeze DeRocha... is there any part of your ride you don't have a picture for?? Wish I had the sense to photo document all my stuff like you do :)

Walter

It does sound like something in the drum brake didn't go together just right. With the adjustor adjusted all the way in, there should be "lots" of room between the drums and shoes.

Could the parts place gave you the wrong part? I would compare it to the old one or the other side if the old is gone. The adjuster could be to long or to big maybe? Its a long shot, but something to check thats fairly simple.:dunno:

For my part i have a 4wd and A4LD tranny so i cutted the e-brake pedal cable..it was stuck and a real mess to change. After that the adjustement was always clean

Back