Black trim and black paint on a XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black trim and black paint on a XLS

Snowboi

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLS
Not sure if this is the place to post, if its not the right place can a moderator please move it to the correct section.

I've been trying to decide on if I should paint the fender/bumper trim black to match the body paint (which will be repainted later on), I was thinking just spraying all the trim with rubber-ish bumper paint, just not sure if I would like it. Does anybody here have a black XLS with black trim.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a black with black limited.

Photo-0086.jpg

So that's the stock tupperware, but it's just painted black?

Thanks for the picture. Still trying to decide, because the gray looks good, but figured I'd try to add my own touch to it. I'll prolly just try to get a friend to photoshop it to see the way it looks, I really would like the rubber-ish finish for the trim. The only problem I would come across is the rear bumper, its not plastic like all the other crap, so it may not look as good as I thought.

So that's the stock tupperware, but it's just painted black?
Black from the factory.

I really would like the rubber-ish finish for the trim.

Make sure you test it out off the truck before you coat everything on it. Bed-liner comes in different formulas. I used raptor bed-liner on the outside of my baja and I loved it. It's more plasticy feeling then rubbery and just hosed off. Some one else used linex and hated it. They said the rubbery texture was a PITA to clean and just shredded the was mits and left fuzzies all over it.

The stuff I was lookign for wasnt bed-liner, its called bumper paint, I've seen shop paint with it using a spray gun instead of the can. Its not glossy, its more like satin with a rubber-ish look.

The stuff I was lookign for wasnt bed-liner, its called bumper paint, I've seen shop paint with it using a spray gun instead of the can. Its not glossy, its more like satin with a rubber-ish look.
Whoops. Some reason I thought you were talking about bed-liner. :crazy:

Its ok, I was thinking about bed-liner, but then I thought about all the bumps and stuff, it wouldn't really help with aerodynamic of the Explorer, which could be bad for the gas mileage budget build. I might just repaint the steel bumper part glossy black like the rest of the body, and then paint the trim bumper black, I will have to find better quality paint for the roof trim, because they will fade in NO TIME.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will need to replace the front bumper and bumper parts, do to a previous wreck, which doesn't even show.

Whats funny is, I recall only one dent (drivers side door), nothing else, looking over the truck again, I see a dent in the drivers side rear door (like somebody hit it with a white car) and a huge dent in the front bumper, something just doesn't seem right....

Back