bleeding rear ABS brakes after SOA??????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bleeding rear ABS brakes after SOA???????

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
I just completed the SOA mod. on my '91 XLT except that I can't get the rear brakes to bleed. What's the trick? I figure it has something to do with the ABS but I can't figure it out. I've unhooked the electrical connector but it had no effect. I bleed the front brakes fine, but I don't understand why the rear won't bleed. FWIW, I'm using a mini-vac. I even tried pulling vaccum directly on the rear lines, but that had no effect. In fact, the pressure on the mini-vac gauge never dropped. It's like that is an obstruction in the line and the only thing I can think of is the ABS controller.

Thanks.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if RABS is a problem or the MiniVac isn't pulling enough vacuum.. I'd get a buddy to come over and step on the brake pedal too see if fluid can be extracted through the rear bleeder valves...

DeRocha said:
Not sure if RABS is a problem or the MiniVac isn't pulling enough vacuum.. I'd get a buddy to come over and step on the brake pedal too see if fluid can be extracted through the rear bleeder valves...

yeah, I tried that too. I've just about come to the conclusion that the ABS controller is bad.

thanks.

Rob

As it turns out, the ABS unit was bad; however, a trouble light never came on. At first, it wouldn't let fluid pass through it. After I removed it and blew air through it, it would flow in one direction only. In the end, I picked up a brass fitting from Autozone to join the 2 brake lines together and by-pass the ABS unit. Works like a champ now.

Rob

4x4rob said:
As it turns out, the ABS unit was bad; however, a trouble light never came on. At first, it wouldn't let fluid pass through it. After I removed it and blew air through it, it would flow in one direction only. In the end, I picked up a brass fitting from Autozone to join the 2 brake lines together and by-pass the ABS unit. Works like a champ now.

Rob
Glad to hear its fixed.. By-passing the ABS unit is exactly what I'd do... My ABS hardly ever comes on and the $$$ for replacement parts is way to high (IMO)...

Back