• Register Today It's free!

Blinking headlights?

jlondeau

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT Sport
I was driving the explorer this evening and my headlights started blinking like there was a loose connection somewhere. I checked the connectors on the headlamps all tight, checked relay switch connectors all tight, checked fuses all good. The headlamps are the only thing that is flickering or going on/off. Could there be another wire loose somewhere else? I pulled the headlamp switch and checked it out but cannot find any problems there. In the fuse panel you can hear the headlights clicking on and off. I really dont want to buy a new harness to fix this problem.

The clicking you are hearing is probably a bad relay. If you replace that relay it should be good to go.

First...Replace The Headlight Switch

I had this same problem and initially it was the headlight switch in the dash. You most probably will not need to replace the wiring harness (dread the thought) but you might have to replace the modular plug that the headlight switch plugs into, mine was melted, it's available and the wiring/connectors unplug and plug into the new unit, no cutting/rewiring needed. After replacing the headlight switch it started to reoccur again (after a week or 2), but this time the high beams would stay on continuously. I noticed that there was some arcing/clicking sound from the turn signal/high beam stalk on the steering column. I replaced this unit and since then have not had anymore blinking headlight problems. It took me about 20 minutes to replace the unit, after pulling the steering wheel, it's a one piece unit that plugs in place held by a few screws, costs around $110, got it from Rockauto.com...

Back