Blizzard my 94 Explorer Build | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blizzard my 94 Explorer Build

By the way I know this is pretty rare but I found a 94 or 92 explorer for $700 needing a transmission with manual windows and door locks. It would be perfect to slap a 5 speed in! However I don't have the time or money for it. LOL
Trav

Only downside is the lack of door panels available for the manual window trucks. My 92 started off as an XL, and it needed 4 door panels that really don't exist used.

For modification of the 91-94, it's more experimental than anything else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This one has good door panels other then one arm rest pad is bad I believe. I wish my explorer had manual windows but I can't justify $700 to get manual windows. LOL I wish the parts truck came with manual windows. However it did come with nicer power seats so been contemplating installing those and make this a fancy dancy like truck since my 88 F150 has manual everything minus trans (but being a C6 it mine as well be a stick shift it is so cool).

I am not sure if I am allowed to do this but her is the link to the explorer for sale:http://showlow.craigslist.org/cto/4708021016.html
Trav

Wow! How on earth did those stay in tact in the Arizona heat?

111k miles is nice, and I see it is 2wd.

I have everything to make it a manual transmission. My transmission is okay to use, but I would consider an overhaul on it. It seems rachety feeling at times it doesn't pop out of gear or anything.

Haha I am not in the hot spot of Arizona. I actually live in the mountains where we get snow and usually doesn't get above 98*. I lived in the hot part of Arizona (Tucson where I was born and raised plus before here I lived in Orange county California and Las Vegas Nevada so let me tell you I know hot). I use to ride through Las Vegas with a leather jacket on the back of a Harley now that I am use to this weather most of the time I am in a tshirt on a Harley (bikes gets put away in the winter).

Ya I wish mine had that low of miles but at least the engine in it is only 144K. It is extremely hard to find a low mileage truck around here. I was lucky to get my 88 F150 with 46K original miles.

I just noticed it is 2wd also so their is another reason I am not going to get it. I can't justify having a 2wd when I have owned 4x4s most of my life.

Come on over here and get it and make it a 2wd manual everything explorer that would be sweet!
Trav

Ya I bet. I thank you for serving our country.

I feel real bad for people who go from like Alaska to something like that temperature of heat. They must go crazy!
Trav

Being my grandfather is a veteran to (first part of Air force one) I have a great respect for veterans. I think my grandfather was Army too but not sure.
Trav

Needing a trans for $700? Doesn't sound like a great deal. However, that is sometimes misdiagnosed when it's actually a transfer case issue. Could be that the shift motor lost it's place. A few people have gotten lucky with that, I even knew of one locally that did that. Pop it into 4Lo and it drives perfectly. If that's the issue, $700 isn't too bad depending on the rest of the vehicle. If it's a trans issue, they will probably never sell it at $700.

Limited slip is pretty sweet in these Explorers. The 4.0 isn't a super powerful engine but it has a lot of oomph in the low end. There's not a lot of easy mods for the Explorers to give them tons of more power. There's people that do cams and that kind of thing but there's serious money and time into that. Your best bet is just general maintenance and tune-up items.

*EDIT*
Whoops, total waste of a post. Didn't see the next page of discussion or the link for the Explorer. Ignore & carry on.

Ya I am finding this out fast. One day I will put a nice little cam and upgrade the pistons but for right now she will do.

I wouldn't be to sure about it not selling. My buddy sold a 99 Ford Explorer 2wd with a seized engine and not the straightest body for $400. Personally I wouldn't have paid that. Of course it may be a while being it is 2wd but it will probably sell.

Yesterday put the wheels and tires that came with the explorer back on. Later today I will grab a few pics got to late last night.
Also I plan to clean her out today.
Hoping the tires will finish my shimmy problem as really I don't know what else could cause it.
Trav

Cleaned her out today and removed the trailer brake controller and all the wiring to it. I really don't understand why it was in their and so poorly put in when this car was so well taken care of.

After cleaning her up I found parts I forgot I even had for her.

Once I get my pics uploaded I will post them.
Trav

somehow I got a pinhole leak in my radiator so going to try some stop leak otherwise I might have to take the radiator from the parts explorer which means I need coolant again. Ughh.
Trav

The parts truck has no coolant in it I pulled radiator out when I pulled the engine out to put in the ranger.
Once I get the radiator problem fixed I plan to go for a test drive in her.
Trav

My coolant has maybe 300 miles at the most on it. LOL I haven't driven it quite to often since replacing the water pump. My dad and I mainly run around in his 90 F150 4x4 302 that seems for some reason to be getting better fuel mileage.
Trav

Oh well find a good clean catch pan for the coolant. I mean heck that's almost 20 bucks right there.

I understand conserving money, been in the poor house a long while. Worst part is I need brakes like a bad habit on my sport.

Brakes I personally don't cheap out on. Really I don't cheap out on anything it is just a matter of we get paid once a month so when I spend a lot of money on my F150 it puts a bind on the explorer. Not to mention I had to spend some money to get the ranger cab on. Luckily the ranger is pretty close to done minus I have to do brakes on it. I don't know what it is with brakes but I sure have to do a lot of them. LOL (I guess that is because I am the mechanic of the family)
Trav

Like promised pics of the explorer with the small mirrors. I wish I could afford to lift her enough to throw some 265 75 R16s under her that I have on these wheels. I think those would look killer with some chrome center caps.
explorerwithsmalltires1_zpsa5eccb71.jpg

explorerwithsmalltires2_zps252b2fee.jpg

Clean as I could get her being I keep a lot of my MC parts in their I think I need to build some type of organizer back their:
explorerwithsmalltires3_zps05abc987.jpg

no more trailer brake controller:
explorerwithsmalltires4_zps95878190.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found the exact spot of the leak and put JB weld on it since I had some left when I tried to do a fix on the 89 F250s rear tank (it didn't work on it being their were to many holes). That fixed the leak. Took her for a test drive and the shimmy is gone. I can now do 75 MPH if I want and I gained power too!

So I am guessing the black spoke wheels have a bent rim or something like that from years of abuse on the trail.
I have 4 15" rims that are off the ranger that need tires so once I find a set of 235 75 R15s I will throw them on their after painting them black again and later find center caps for the rear in chrome.
Trav

Back