• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

94 Explorer Build

WormsExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4.0 ohv auto
I just Brought this beauty home tonight. Was able to buy her for $1,000. Plans are going to be a lift and going out on the trails. Not sure what route I am going to do just yet but it is going to be a mild build. Interior is in beautiful Condition. No Cracks in the Dash The floor and seats and in great condition. Thinking she has abut 91,000 miles or 191,000 miles on her. Her front end right now Hums really bad at about 60 to 65 mph. Thinking front end needs redone. I know brakes are needed to be done. So list starts once I am able to dig into her and see what all needs to be done. Very happy with my Purchase. Yes I know some on here are thinking oh great he has another one. I like this one and I think she will be here to stay.
136494891_882602375908869_3297168231144984194_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

SLUSH Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
3 doors I assume? LOL hard to tell from the pic but I don't think you would bring home a 5 door!

Congrats!!

WormsExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4.0 ohv auto
3 doors I assume? LOL hard to tell from the pic but I don't think you would bring home a 5 door!

Congrats!!
No she is a 5 door explorer. I do not have a Sport anymore. I will update my Avatar today

WormsExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4.0 ohv auto
Well driving home with new Ex did not really hear any major noises. Got home and pulled in to driveway and heard a major not so good noise. Thought it was shocks or Front bearings. Removed tires saw the front shocks and wow. Ordered new ones replaced them then drove Ex off driveway and noise still there. Look underneath it and saw this. Not good at all. What is this bushing part called?
20210111_170619.jpg

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Radius arm bushing. Looks to be missing. The passenger side one is most likely gone too.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I never had to do it, but I’d say medium difficulty. ;) there’s probably many threads on changing them out if you search back a few years.

fordpickupman

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cascade, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
71 F250 Fummins
My '94 had the same issue when I bought it. They had been gone so long that the holes were egged out to about 2x the correct height of hole. I built long arms with heims to fix the problem.

Kesp4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Buy some new brackets while you’re at it. A grinder, a big drill bit, a punch and some cutting oil and it’s really not too bad. A one day job, less if you’ve done them before

96AWD5.LOL

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT 4x4 - Red Velvet
Buy some new brackets while you’re at it. A grinder, a big drill bit, a punch and some cutting oil and it’s really not too bad. A one day job, less if you’ve done them before

Going to go ahead and second this. Even if the brackets look somewhat OK, they are close to 30 years old now and it will be worth it knowing you won't ever have to do them again. Anecdotally, I replaced my bushings with the poly Moog kit (blue ones) and they've been fine for a few years. Recently I've been having a clunk and after quick peek and teardown of the back half of the bracket I noticed my bushings were egg shaped on the passenger side. Most likely due to a worn bracket. Now I get the thankless task of doing them again.

WormsExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4.0 ohv auto
I have a question for you all. Did the 94 explorer have cables for the power windows or were they mechanical? I have a feeling they were changed out. I have door from a 96 that I am going to use to get them back to normal.

1sicbronconut

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1968 Ford Bronco
No cables they are the old school versions with the springs that can cut a finger off :)

WormsExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4.0 ohv auto
No cables they are the old school versions with the springs that can cut a finger off :)
Thank you sir. The ones in the back of mine are cable ran. So soon back to old school