Block Heater | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to locate the block heater cord I have not had to plug the block heater in yet so imagine it is coiled up and tied to something under the hood. Bought new in Canada so black heater is a must Do workers on the assembly line get a bonus if they can "hide" the cord? Just saying Have looked in the hood several times but it must me tucked in somewhere
Have you located it yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know where I could find a list of those states please?

Found it in the 2019 Order Guide. AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and WY. The block heater was standard in those states but as of 2019, now is optional.

Peter

Hi everyone....
I got my 2018 Sport used and was wondering if there is any way of determining if my car came with an engine block heater pre installed??

If not how hard is it to install one?
Thanks

Easiest way to see if it was factory installed is to have the parts guys at any Ford dealer pull up the Historical Vehicle Bill of Materials (HVBoM). Otherwise, there will be a standard 110V plug under the hood near the front, and wiring coming out of a freeze plug. You’ll just have to look.

Here’s a shot of the aluminum block in my ‘03 Cobra (custom build): you can see the block heater and cord coming out of where a freeze plug would be...

489D5D10-34F2-4EDA-8484-8FBC8CA3C9AC.jpeg

The plug right up front where it needs to be easily accessible - same idea for any vehicle.

5E58D086-AA1C-4168-B2F8-031C707826F7.jpeg

Appreciate that... haven’t found any plugs yet but I’ll keep looking before I get a chance to visit a ford dealer.

Easiest way to see if it was factory installed is to have the parts guys at any Ford dealer pull up the Historical Vehicle Bill of Materials (HVBoM). Otherwise, there will be a standard 110V plug under the hood near the front, and wiring coming out of a freeze plug. You’ll just have to look.

Here’s a shot of the aluminum block in my ‘03 Cobra (custom build): you can see the block heater and cord coming out of where a freeze plug would be...

View attachment 179961

The plug right up front where it needs to be easily accessible - same idea for any vehicle.

View attachment 179962

Is there any possibility of the block heater being installed without the cord attached to it?

Is there any possibility of the block heater being installed without the cord attached to it?

Wouldn't really make sense, but anything is possible. Would just take the place of the freeze-plug as mentioned.

Here is what they look like by themselves:

F77Z-6A051-BA.jpg

If I recall, to find the cord on the 5th Gen Explorer, you had to pop the hood and it was somewhere up towards the front. Since there is no real access through the grille, that was about the only way the cord could be run.

According to the 2018 Order Guide, the Block Heater (41H) was standard equipment in only 7 states. AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and WY.

Peter

According to the 2018 Order Guide, the Block Heater (41H) was standard equipment in only 7 states. AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and WY.

Peter

They are standard in cold states and typically Canada, but also an option that can be easily added with a custom order. Alternatively, they can be installed at a later date without much fuss.

I have yet to find mine if there is one, but then the last time I actually used on was about 42 years ago. :)

Peter

I have yet to find mine if there is one, but then the last time I actually used on was about 42 years ago. :)

Peter

I used to have an old 7.3 powerstroke
diesel/bio diesel excursion years ago and living up in the rockies above 9000 feet I’d use it all the time.

I think the only reason I want to see if I have one on my Sport, or put one on is simply to help it’s longevity in the winter months.
Realistically I don’t NEED it. Nice to have though.

It is nice to have but the way I've looked at it is, if it's not going to start without having to plug it in, I'd rather it be at home then someplace out and about. ;)

Peter

I assume you are referring to the electrical plug. On my Limited it is right by the oil cap and has a sticker on it that says AC. The plug has a rubber cap over it.

Peter
HI Peter, thank you very very much, I thought the wiring over there is a radiator fan wiring, I didn't see the plug because it's under the big rubber hose.. I almost try to remove 1 bolt from the picture in my message... Thanks again Peter..

I looked at trying to reroute the block heater plug and I think it might be difficult to get enough slack to access it with the hood closed(I could be wrong). I like JAPeterson idea, especially the weather proof plug. I know my father inlaw's F150 has the plug right next to the tow hook in the front with a weather proof plug. Makes it easy to plug in and also allows the remote start to work when it's still plugged in(I don't think you can remote start the Explorer with the hood up).

Found it in the 2019 Order Guide. AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and WY. The block heater was standard in those states but as of 2019, now is optional.

Peter

I keep searching and hoping I've missed something, but clearly my eyes have not failed me. Thank you for finding that, great detective work!

I had to have my dealer find my cord... and they told me it was damaged so they swapped it under warranty. My cord is on the passenger side of the front grill. I've used it a handful of time in our -40 Celsius Canadian Prairie Winters. I'll try and snap a pic as well.

Back