Blown Motor Issues..

dubsminussix

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Exp XLT 4.0 V6
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm actually a new explorer owner. I bought my 02 XLT 4.0 V6 from my sister just two weeks ago with 137000 on it. It was a well maintained, nice looking car so I figured I would go ahead and give it a try. Well, I was driving down the interstate today and suddenly "boom" I heard a loud bang and suddenly lost all my oil pressure. I limped the car over to the side of the highway, and listened as the motor rattled and shook. I turned it off, check the oil (which was full by the way) and called the tow truck. Two hours later I am at my mechanics garage and he is telling me the motor is shot and I need to find a used motor for it. So here is my question. Where is the best place around to look for a good used motor? I've done some searches online but haven't come up with anything but places that don't seem entirely honest or real at all. So I figured I would come by here and see what you guys thought? Does it sound like a blown motor? And if so, where have you bought your used motors? Thanks!

timing chain slipped?

My guess is that the timing chain slipped. The SOHC V6 is an interference engine and typically if the timing chain slipped while driving on the freeway the pistons will damage the valves. No compression on all cylinders on one bank means the chain slipped on that bank. If you have to pay a mechanic to repair it engine replacement is often the less expensive approach.

Another possibility is a blown head gasket but that does not usually result in a rattle.

Ask the mechanic about the compression test results.

Interchangable?

Thanks, I will have to ask him on Monday about the compression test results. Although I have another question, I've been looking at used motors, and the only ones that seems to fit are a 2002 or 2003, my question is are these the only years I can look for, or will other years easily interchange??

any SOHC V6 long block

You can use any Ford SOHC V6 long block: Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger, Mustang, even the Range Rover Discovery III. However, the engine wiring harness, fuel rails, PCV valve configuration, engine sensors, harmonic balancer, and thermostat housing may be different. The 2002 and later engines have improved timing chain related components but the traction side of the right cassette guide assembly is still not reinforced with metal and can break. Low mileage Mustang V6 engines are fairly available in salvage yards and not sought after like the V8s. The more things your mechanic has to change the more it will cost you. For labor the simplest and cheapest swap would be to stay with the same year/model of your original engine.

Back