• Register Today It's free!

Blown shock

cowpusher

Reaction score
City, State
Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I was putting mud guards on my wifes 2011 Exp and found the left rear shock had blown. It had coated the lower linkage so it won't rust.:D It has 6200 miles on it. Anyone else had problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not yet, fluid down the shock housing.?

Yep running down the shock body and coating all the lower mount and linkages . Nothing on the brakes yet. The dealer changed the oil and filter and did the " full point check up" the middle of May.The Ex has never been used hard or driven off road. She won't even let me take it in the cow pasture:D . Also found their oil change guy wrote John 3:16 on the oil filter .

How much oil?

Oh jezz "john 3:16" on an oil filter? I'd call and tell someone, only christians wouldn't be mad about that.

You could also see if the dealership will replace the shocks (might as well get all done with 62,000 miles) sealing a shock isn't easy, sometimes a defect can get in. You could try going to a mx dealer, and get the "seal saver" which is pretty much a cardboard that cleans between the seal and shaft. But if it's already leaked and I'm guessing its not refillable, theres no point in stoping the leak because the shock won't perform as it should.

From the top of the shock body 3/4 around the shock ,then from the back of the hub to app 2" inboard of the lower shock mount. Everything has a nice fuzzy slimey look to it fro my gravel drive. 6200 miles not 62,000

Definitely have the dealership replace the shock under warranty and look around to ensure nothing else is damaged.
I would also be wary of the writing on your oil filter - the person could be harmless or a bit disturbed.

^probably disturbed :D
where the oil is doesn't really mean anything. Shock coulda overheated and blew the seal or maybe some dirt got between the seal and shaft. Either way, take it to the dealer and have em replace it

yea, have the dealer replace. How are those stock shocks anyway? Wonder if the dealer would let you upgrade to some better ones if you pay the delta?

My dealer just informed me that at 47k miles that the rear shocks are leaking. $500 to replace. Will do it myself, just cant find parts.

My dealer just informed me that at 47k miles that the rear shocks are leaking. $500 to replace. Will do it myself, just cant find parts.

NAPA carries them, part # NS 911330. About $75 each.

Hi Saffer,

I'd recommend checking out the Ford Parts site: http://www.fordparts.com You can enter your VIN and find the right parts for your Explorer. Additionally, you can contact the parts department at your local dealership; I know they'd be happy to track them down for you.

Crystal

Yep running down the shock body and coating all the lower mount and linkages . Nothing on the brakes yet. The dealer changed the oil and filter and did the " full point check up" the middle of May.The Ex has never been used hard or driven off road. She won't even let me take it in the cow pasture:D . Also found their oil change guy wrote John 3:16 on the oil filter .

...sounds like his way of wishing you luck...
or maybe he has worked on a lot of Ex's...

...thought bubble as he completes the oil change and is under the car writing on the oil filter ... beby pleeeze hold togetha!

Back