blue screen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blue screen

I'm still waiting on the image module. It's backordered and I've been waiting 3 months now all while still experiencing blue screens.

@James, mine also had no error codes, but apparently they talked to Ford and determined it was the module.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still waiting on the image module. It's backordered and I've been waiting 3 months now all while still experiencing blue screens.

@James, mine also had no error codes, but apparently they talked to Ford and determined it was the module.
At least your dealer will talk to Ford, my service guy says the system reports upward and that is all they can do.
He did give me a number call to log a complaint, they won't even talk about replacing the module without Ford telling them to.
Good luck to you on yours.

The prior generation was having problems with water leaking in, solution was sealant behind the boot seal and bend the wires so water drips off before making it all the way to the connector if there's enough slack, and grease the connector (IIRC). Here's a video, think there's more related videos on YT.

At least your dealer will talk to Ford, my service guy says the system reports upward and that is all they can do.
He did give me a number call to log a complaint, they won't even talk about replacing the module without Ford telling them to.
Good luck to you on yours.
I had the recall service for the camera software update done on January 14. I had not had the blue screen for 2 months. Today it happened for the first time since a month before the recall work. Now the dealer said they will order a camera and replace it. Let's see if that takes care of it! Does anyone know if what ultimately fixes the issue? Is it a camera replacement, imaging module or software update, or all three?

I had the recall service for the camera software update done on January 14. I had not had the blue screen for 2 months. Today it happened for the first time since a month before the recall work. Now the dealer said they will order a camera and replace it. Let's see if that takes care of it! Does anyone know if what ultimately fixes the issue? Is it a camera replacement, imaging module or software update, or all three?
I would assume it is all 3, but good for you to find a dealer that will at least replace them and see if it works.

James, I'm having the same problem as you. The recall was just for another software fix that took me about three days to find that it didn't actually fix the problem. I'm reporting to Ford Customer Support about the issue.

My camera was replaced in early March and so far so good. No more blue screen! If it does happen which is rare it goes away after a second or two. The software update did not work for me either.

The car never has the problem when it goes in for service and it never has an error code either. I've been in 5 times now with the same thing..

James, I'm having the same problem as you. The recall was just for another software fix that took me about three days to find that it didn't actually fix the problem. I'm reporting to Ford Customer Support about the issue.
the good news is, a few weeks ago while driving to dinner our driver's side window cabling system broke. We took it in and I again complained about the blue screen of death, they made note and over the next 4 days they found a code and finally replaced the camera and module.

If the software update doesn't fix the issue then they are supposed to replace the camera. Rearview Camera Recall 21C09

Peter

If the software update doesn't fix the issue then they are supposed to replace the camera. Rearview Camera Recall 21C09

Peter
Yes but in my case in the first several weeks after camera replacement it happened but corrected itself unlike before when you had to restart Sync. I feel like it's a processing power issue maybe because I've noticed it happens more when multitasking like using Nav and audio at same time. Maybe! Nevertheless inexcusable that the fix is not 100%. BTW I have a 2019 Edge ST loaner and it is so much more refined and quiet compared to my Explorer ST! Doors close with a solid thud, no cheap plastic crackling and rattling noises from the interior. The engine is quiet and smooth and if I don't look at tach, I don't even know it's on. The wind and road noise is also minimal.The center screen resolution sucks and so does the camera image but at least works without glitches and lags 100% of the time unlike the Explorer.

The car never has the problem when it goes in for service and it never has an error code either. I've been in 5 times now with the same thing

Peter
Thanks. The link you sent talks about a build date. How do I know when my car was manufactured? Ford has not notified me of any recalls so I'm assuming it's not in that range but I can check.

The car never has the problem when it goes in for service and it never has an error code either. I've been in 5 times now with the same thing

Thanks. The link you sent talks about a build date. How do I know when my car was manufactured? Ford has not notified me of any recalls so I'm assuming it's not in that range but I can check.
The build date is on the sticker when you open the drivers door. Or if you have the window sticker it should be on there also.

The build date is on the sticker when you open the drivers door. Or if you have the window sticker it should be on there also.
Found it. 9/19, which falls in the range of the recall. Any suggestions about who I should be sharing this info with to get it replaced? The dealership or the Ford customer support person I opened the ticket with?

We had the blue reverse screen issue on our 2020 Explorer ST (pics below). This forum/post was very helpful in making me an informed consumer at the dealership. Thank you!
It took four visits to resolve the issue for us. I told the service representative that he would likely need to replace one or both the imagine module and the rear camera. He said he would like to do it all in one shot, but Ford has them do it in steps, so we had to go through the four steps:
1) clear codes. Fortunately, the screen went blue on them, so we didn't even make it to the dealership to pick it up.
2) Do the 21C09 recall, updating all firmware on ECU and modules. When we picked it up, I put it in reverse and the screen was blue. I had the service writer come out and look at it. He swore they tested it and it worked. LOL
3) Replace and program a new imaging module. Again, it was blue when we picked it up. Literally, they valet the Explorer, I get in, put it in reverse and the screen turns blue. I show the service writer again.
4) Replace the reverse camera. We have about a dozen restarts and many reverses with no blue screen, YES!

So, just to reiterate what others said above: you will likely need to have all this crap replaced to fix it. :)

IMG_20220511_173338 - Copy.JPG IMG_20220511_173141 - Copy.JPG

We had the blue reverse screen issue on our 2020 Explorer ST (pics below). This forum/post was very helpful in making me an informed consumer at the dealership. Thank you!
It took four visits to resolve the issue for us. I told the service representative that he would likely need to replace one or both the imagine module and the rear camera. He said he would like to do it all in one shot, but Ford has them do it in steps, so we had to go through the four steps:
1) clear codes. Fortunately, the screen went blue on them, so we didn't even make it to the dealership to pick it up.
2) Do the 21C09 recall, updating all firmware on ECU and modules. When we picked it up, I put it in reverse and the screen was blue. I had the service writer come out and look at it. He swore they tested it and it worked. LOL
3) Replace and program a new imaging module. Again, it was blue when we picked it up. Literally, they valet the Explorer, I get in, put it in reverse and the screen turns blue. I show the service writer again.
4) Replace the reverse camera. We have about a dozen restarts and many reverses with no blue screen, YES!

So, just to reiterate what others said above: you will likely need to have all this crap replaced to fix it. :)

View attachment 429762 View attachment 429763
My dealer did the recall and the blue screen came back a few weeks later so their next step was to replace the rear camera. Over 2 months later so far it's working fine.

My dealer did the recall and the blue screen came back a few weeks later so their next step was to replace the rear camera. Over 2 months later so far it's working fine.
Just got mine back today. I had to open a case with Ford because the dealership wouldn't do anything but software fixes that didn't fix the issue. Today after working with Ford they finally replaced the camera. Ill report back if it's fixed this time. Six visits to the dealership to have them replace the part they should have in the first place. Terrible service.

Let's hope it's a revised camera design that isn't subject to failing again in another couple years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been chasing the dumb blue screen issue on the display for months. I take it in and the dealer cannot find any codes nor problems. They've reloaded the firmware so many times I'm tired of it. Now I've been told that when it comes on again, I should drive to the dealership immediately and not shut off the ignition when I get there. It's done it several times the two months but it always happens on weekends or holidays so far.

Back